Where is wp-confg

I am new. I changed my password in my sqlserver on DreamHost. Now cannot get into Wordpress.org acct. Reading tells me to change in WP-Config. Don’t know how to do this. Found my sql server name on my Dreamhost Account but seems no way to access files where wp-confg. is?

if you used the one-click installer and did a simple install you would not be able to access it. only thing you can do is to change the password back. you do, however, have the option of doing a custom install and then changing the config to reference the old mysql database so you do not lose your content.

I am afraid I did not write down the original password. Miistook for my server pw which i did write down. Looked in e-mails hoping for info but don’t see. Can you direct me to the info on how to do custom install? Will custome over-write current. If so, where and how do i backup current?

If you did a “simple” one click install before, you can delete the simple install (which does NOT delete your database). then do a “Custom” install except instead of letting WP create a new database specify your old one. You will be asked for the database name, hostname, user, and password. Give your new password and it will be installed correctly in wp-config. This should put you right back where you left off.

So I am at managing installs. I am choosing to delete all files??? Scared!

ok, i have worked all night on this. Learned alot. followed inst. from word press to get files downloaded to my computer to my server. finally ready to access install script. error message tells me dreamhost is not running php??? Any help?

LakeRat gave some good instructions. All you have to do is follow them. If you are that concerned you can go to phpmyadmin and export a copy of the mysql database (which should be done periodically or before major changes anyway just in case). That is what matters most. Just do what LakeRat said. Do be aware that the domain name needs to be fully hosted so you may need to go to manage domains and edit (or add) it.

Lake Rat- Thanks so much for all your help. I followed your instructions, I believe. I deleted the one-click install that Dreamhost created for me in WP. I downloaded the WP program from the WP website to a folder on my computer and extracted. I downloaded Notepad and edited the wp config file as the instructions said. I dowloaded Filezilla and moved all folders to a directory under the root on my server. Then, when I tried to install, from the directions everything went wrong. I says to place script for install to a sub-d in a browser window??? Tried to do that. Placed that script all over a IE window. Tried to find more instructions. Got very confused. All I could get was that DH is not running PHP. Noticed that files Microsoft Picture It files. Found another person with same problem but did not understanfd reply to problem. Just at a loss here. Thanks for all your help! Do you have any insight on this?

Lake Rat- Thanks so much for all your help. I followed your instructions, I believe. I deleted the one-click install that Dreamhost created for me in WP. I downloaded the WP program from the WP website to a folder on my computer and extracted. I downloaded Notepad and edited the wp config file as the instructions said. I dowloaded Filezilla and moved all folders to a directory under the root on my server. Then, when I tried to install, from the directions everything went wrong. I says to place script for install to a sub-d in a browser window??? Tried to do that. Placed that script all over a IE window. Tried to find more instructions. Got very confused. All I could get was that DH is not running PHP. Noticed that files Microsoft Picture It files. Found another person with same problem but did not understanfd reply to problem. Just at a loss here. Thanks for all your help! Do you have any insight on this?

Well php does not need to be turned on, and I have no idea what you have done wrong.

Your trying too hard. the intructions were:

1. Delete the SIMPLE one click install.
    1.5 As Ryo-ohki points out you will now need to navigate to manage domains in the panel and add the domain as fully hosted.
  2. Return to one click installs and pick CUSTOM, specify your old datatbase and you are done.

Well ok. Will try again. However, I did not respong to Rho- because I have no idea what navigating domains mean. I did look and see that my domain is a fully hosted domain. I did not go to one click and ask for custom. I just hit the button on the website to download. Maybe that has something to do with it. Also, in the install script for a subdirectory, it says to put in a browser window. That is wierd to me but I tried. Also not sure what to replace the example with. Is it my blog site: donna2theg.com? Maybe will not need to know after I go back to one click and try again. Thanks for everything. Learned alot.