Where is my VPS located?

vps

Is there a way to figure out which data center my VPS is in? I’m assuming LA, but I think it would be better for me if it was in VA. Most of my customers are in VA/NC. I opened a ticket asking, but it’s been 50 hours and no response so far. The forum seems to be quicker.

this page in the panel: https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=status.dc&

Perfect. Thanks. So my VPS is in LA, although a couple of my databases are in VA. Seems odd.

2 Days 14 Hours since I opened a ticket asking this (and a couple of other questions). Answered in 32 minutes on the forum.

Ask them to change that, VPS and db servers should be the same place.

Thanks. I’ll open a ticket for that. I’d really like everything to be in VA.

Do a thorough backup before the move.

No problem, I do daily back ups.

Honestly I’m not sure I’m going to be able to get it done anyway since I have to rely on customer service to make it happen. I asked a question about moving my VPS 3 days ago and I never got any response. I canceled that ticket and opened a new one today just asking them to go ahead and move it. I didn’t even get an automated response.

I miss the old days of DH customer service. I’ve opened an account with another host and started planning the move. The only reason I haven’t done it is it seems complicated. But the downtime, slow response of the web server, and total lack of response from DH support is driving me away.

In 2007 I opened a ticket with DH because of a problem I was having my site. They logged into my Drupal site and fixed my problem (Drupal config). Really above and beyond. Seems those days are over.

Yeah, I hear ya. You’re not Robinson Crusoe on the matter either - a few of the old skoolers are grumbling.

In DreamHost’s defence, there’s heaps of posts here on the forum here that show at least some Support personnel are still taking the “don’t worry - I’ll fix this for you 'cause it’ll be wayyy quicker” approach which is really cool. It might be a case that the techs are just really swamped at the moment with server shuffling, etc. and there’s not a great deal Support can do about things like server move requests other than to forward the advice to the techs. It would be nice to get a timely response to your ticket tho for sure.

Hey Brian,

I’m really sorry to hear you feel that way :confused: We don’t ever mean to disappoint! I did respond to your submitted ticket just now and your VPS is in the process of being moved! Hope that helps, if indeed you decide to stay with us here at DreamHost. We appreciate your (and everyone else’s in this forum) feedback, and are definitely taking heed of all of your feelings about our support as of late. Thanks so much for your patience, cooperation, and loyalty. It absolutely means a lot to us.

It’s done! It’s all done, and it works! The VPS and the remaining databases in LA have all been moved to Ashburn.

Yay!! :smiley: So happy to hear it! If you need anything else, just let us know – here, via email, or tweet us at @dreamhostcare. :slight_smile:

Now I kinda feel like a jerk. I really did set up an account with a competitor out of frustration, but I’d rather keep things where they are. I’ve also thought about setting up a mirror on a different service for when my DH site goes down, but that’s a whole different conversation…

No hard feelings! :slight_smile: It’s completely understandable, and again I apologize for causing any frustration. As far as setting up a mirror for if/when your site goes down… well I suppose we’ll cross that bridge if/when we come to it. :wink: