Where is database for Wordpress actually kept?

wordpress

I’m about to set up a Wordpress blog on a subdomain at a domain hosted for me at Dreamhost.

I’d like to learn a bit about what goes where, so instead of using ‘one click’, I am planning to do as follows:

1. download WP (done)
  2. set up a MySQL database
  3. change the relevant lines in wp-config-sample and rename as wp-config
  4. FTP everything to the subdomain
  5. browse to www./(mysubdomain)/(mydomain)wp-admin/install.php

My questions are:

• where will the database actually be?

• will I be able to access it using FTP?

• (bigger question, this one) what’s the easiest way to keep an offline copy of all posts and comments, so that I can read them using a blog interface offline? I don’t want to automate the procedure, and would be happy to download the necessary files using FTP every few days.

Many thanks in advance for any help with this.

John

It’s a separate (from the webserver) database server.

No, in the panel on the mySQL databases page you will find a tool called phpMyAdmin, you can use that to access.

You should definitely keep a copy of your database offline. Using it offline might be a little bit different and more involved than you are visualizing. You could set up a local copy of WP and restore the database locally and read that way, or perhaps use a database tool locally to browse thru the tables in a manner much like you see in phpMyAdmin thru the panel.

[quote=“LakeRat, post:2, topic:60927”]You should definitely keep a copy of your database offline. Using it offline might be a little bit different and more involved than you are visualizing. You could set up a local copy of WP and restore the database locally and read that way, or perhaps use a database tool locally to browse thru the tables in a manner much like you see in phpMyAdmin thru the panel.
[/quote]
Thanks LakeRat for your very clear and helpful answers.

I may come back and ask some more, but only after I have done a lot more experimenting and learning!

Thanks again!
John