When will Dreamhost upgrade shared servers?

My current DH server is dog slow, and cat /proc/cpuinfo shows that is running an 8 core AMD Opteron 4122 at 2.2 GHz. It may be a 4 core showing the threads as processors.

Come on Dreamhost 4122s were introduced years ago and this is really a bum deal, when for $12 you can get a more powerful VPS with lots of space.

I am sure there are more powerful CPUs available. Will you kindly scrap these systems and introduce more powerful models? I am sure even the energy savings will be worth it.

You did hit some of the economics behind an upgrade decision.

However keep in mind shared hosting is EXACTLY that. A shared server that likely isn’t as zippy as what you get when you upgrade to a different plan and your sharing it with other users.

You make the argument to upgrade to a VPS very eloquently.

One thing I might mention tho, occasionally shared servers can get an unfair allocation of users that are heavy users. You might ask support if they can take a look at your shared server to see if it’s overcrowded and perhaps move you to a less crowded server if there is such need.

What kind of CPUs are available on VPS systems? It won’t make any difference if they are the same CPUs, they will still be the same slow old stuff. VPSs are for stuff with require customizations that are not available on the shared hosting and for sustained high usage which affects other users, not necessarily for performance. There are usually oodles of free RAM on the shared servers.

I think Dreamhost are exploiting their reputation for allowing power users to do their own stuff without restrictions. I need to be able to use servers on which I don’t have to bother with administrative issues but don’t need the full power of VPSs.

But come on DH, AMD 4122s even on shared hosting is rather abysmal. Have you checked their performance in CPU comparisons? Just because it is shared hosting doesn’t mean they have to be so old.

I see 16 of these on my VPS (YMMV depending on how long ago your VPS was created:)

processor	: 15
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 21
model		: 2
model name	: AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4386                 
stepping	: 0
microcode	: 0x6000836
cpu MHz		: 3100.038
cache size	: 2048 KB

You may say that these are not the latest models but do they achieve the purpose of keeping thousands of customers satisfied? Most of the time, yes otherwise we wouldn’t be in business. It all depends on what your needs are. Let’s talk about those first.

VPS are not necessarily meant to be poweful. The main difference with the shared server is that the hardware resources (RAM, CPU, disk) are a lot more isolated between customers. And there is more of those available in a VPS compared to a shared server.

What kind of applications are you running? What kind of loads do you have? It’s impossible to give any meaningful suggestion without specific needs. Real life applications and precise measurements are the only metric that really counts, and every reputable CPU comparison/benchmark will say that. Share more details please and we can give you useful suggestions.

This is what I am getting from checking the CPU.

Yours has more cores and a higher clock speed. You wouldn’t feel so happy if you were on mine.

I know that if I transfer my Drupal sites over, things are going to hurt. I think an all round upgrade is needed just keep up with the times. Anyway I will find out soon enough when I transfer it over to test.

processor       : 7
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 16
model           : 8
model name      : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4122
stepping        : 0
microcode       : 0x10000c5
cpu MHz         : 2194.134
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 1
siblings        : 4
core id         : 3
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 19
initial apicid  : 11
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse
sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc
extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch
osvw ibs skinit wdt nodeid_msr npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save pausefilter
bogomips        : 4389.00
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate