What's wrong with the stats?

I’ve been paying close attention to my statistics extra close lately to judge on how effective some link additions have been, and every now and then the Dreamhost stats flake out and not always give proper reports each day. Earlier in the week I went without stats on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, then was finally given them on Wednesday. Only problem was that the stats completely skipped over Sunday and combined both Monday and Tuesday together (that’s no good). I went to check my stats for Thursday this morning, and to no surprise they are not there.

This is not the first time I’ve had this “three-day-combined-stats” outage/problem. Is there any chance of upgrading to something more reliable soon? I tried to install AWStats on my site, but I couldn’t figure it out.

[quote]every now and then the Dreamhost stats flake out and not always give proper reports each day.

[/quote]

I get the same. Support told me :

[quote]…> This happens from time to time. Due to the large amount of stats that we
…> run, there sometimes is a problem running your stats daily, or something
…> like a server reboot interrupts stat generation for that day.

the stats … combined both Monday and Tuesday together (that’s no good).

[/quote]

Support said:

[quote]…> If stats fail one day, that days stats will be included in the next day.

Is there any chance of upgrading to something more reliable soon?

[/quote]

Support said:

[quote]…> If stats are very important for you to be run every day, I highly
…> recommend that you check into running your own stats software[/quote]

I’ve been seeing this too.

I finally got AWStats installed on my site. The doc is hard to follow (it assumes you have access to the apache config, which of course we don’t have, so the configuration script is not intuitive). There is a post by Mark over in the 3rd Party Software & Scripts forum that mentions editing the config directly which is what I did to get things working. After that, it was fairly easy to set up. I’ll try and write something up soon with Dreamhost specifics while it’s fresh in my mind.

That would be much appreciated!