What's wrong with DreamHost now?

what’s wrong with DreamHost now?

ive sent in a support ticket - and inspite of it being 2 DAYS 16 HOURS i still havent any contact…

and upon checking the “Contact Support” section, I see still 813 Open Tickets_

???

It seems they are quite busy, doesn’t it.

I also opened a ticked a few days ago and apart from the 24 hour ‘sorry for the delay’ response I have since heard nothing.

I’m sure they are working hard on solving their backlog and I’m certain I’ll receive a response soon enough. Just hold tight. =)

Well, they are certainly “losing the battle” with the support queue. A couple of days ago the “open requests” were sitting in the mid-700’s, yesterday it went to 813 (per alfredjp), and my check just now shows 981. :frowning:

They are gonna have to reverse that trend before they’ll have any hope of "catching up :wink:

Edit: 1 hour, 7 minutes later - queue increased by 23 to 1004 pending - still losing ground here :frowning: .

–rlparker

i was planning on submitting a ticket because the admin panel is INSANELY slow…

but now i can’t even access it to submit a ticket.

johngrayson.com
suffocate[us]

They use the same panel we do, so if it’s slow for us, then they know it’s slow and there’s no need to remind them of the fact.

At least they’re down to 871 requests now, unless a bunch of people submit trouble tickets about the panel being slow.

-Scott

they’ve specifically said in the past to submit a ticket if anyone is experiencing a slow admin panel.

so yes, we do need to remind them of it because they asked us to.

johngrayson.com
suffocate[us]

down to 871 requests

And holding: Currently 871 open requests

[quote]what’s wrong with DreamHost now?

[/quote]

http://blog.dreamhost.com/2006/11/03/get-to-know-us/

While the bosses are away, the mice will play.

You are welcome to a refund.-Michael;Comparing ‘DH of today’ with ‘DH of old’ does not serve much purpose.-Dallas

Okay, luckily, while Josh and Dallas were off gallivanting, I was able to troubleshoot the problem and get it fixed. :wink:

I guess for people who are new around here like anonymous2, its hard to grasp that DreamHost is actually run by its four original founders, any of which could have run a successful company on their own. Imagine Chuck Norris, except he has just given birth to himself three times, and now must kick ass in quadruplicate.

Hmmm…I don’t remember that. I only remember the part where if the panel’s broken, they notice it just as fast as we do since they depend on its functionality more than we do.

-Scott

Maybe you solved “a” problem, but there are still problems.
My sites have been down for more than 24 hours and no response from DH at all, for any tickets we’ve opened. We even requested a call back and nothing.

uptick: (Currently 916 open requests.)

[quote]for people who are new around here like anonymous2, its hard to grasp that DreamHost is actually run by its four original

[/quote]

123 posts versus 83; who’s newer here? :slight_smile:

Considering I quote two in my sig’ and mentioned a third in my post, it’s not too hard to grasp.

Enough with the Ninja cloning imagery. Get some rest, roust Sage from wherever he hangs out, and crack those whips, or give out some more free caffeine. :slight_smile:

And get somebody to fix up that CC fax thing. How about an “upload pdf copy to panel” for new accounts only?

You are welcome to a refund.-Michael;Comparing ‘DH of today’ with ‘DH of old’ does not serve much purpose.-Dallas

Edit: 1 hour, 7 minutes later - queue increased by 23 to 1004 pending

Maybe the open support requests total should be shown on dreamhoststatus.com and www.dreamhost.com?

What is your domain misura? I fixed the problem of reported panel slowness. If your domain is down for longer then about an hour and there isn’t a status.dreamhost.com post about it, you are almost guarenteed that it is just a misconfiguration with your account.

I agree with you that response times for support replies should always be under 24 hours and ideally they should be responded to within a couple hours. We have 3 new support technicians starting this week.

We use fax only for cc auth because the fraudsters love to doctor digital images for uploaded.

What do you do for a living anonymous2? I don’t think posting the number of questions currently in the queue each day makes you a forum vetran or anything. :wink: We answer 10,000 support messages per week. So while we would like to always have the queue at 0, having 1000 messages in the queue is all in a days work.

Isn’t it almost as easy to doctor the digital image and print and fax it, or just fax it? Many “fax machines” are scanners and printers too.

Don’t you receive the faxes as digital images, not prints off a “fax machine”?

[quote]So while we would like to always have the queue at 0, having 1000 messages in the queue is all in a days work.

[quote]We have 3 new support technicians starting this week.

[/quote]

[/quote]

So the number in queue is not very meaningful? Maybe a better thing to display is number of customers served by Support in last hour, day, month, etc. Like McD’s: X Billions served. Or average expected wait time at current rate.

Maybe a more optimum number is 42 or so, for a one hour response time instead of 24. The support tech’s wouldn’t like the queue at 0 for long. :slight_smile:

I work for DreamHost Support, like rlparker. I thought you knew. Wasn’t that supposed to be a company secret? :slight_smile: </just a joke>

Its a pragmatic thing, getting faxes has proven itself to significantly lower chargebacks, purely digital images have not. You are welcome to speculate all day on why that is, but it’s just what works.

When I signed up a couple of weeks ago, I used a credit card and I did not have to send in a fax. Panel access was granted within seconds and everything else was set up in a couple of minutes.

That’s what happens when you’re less of a risk, based on formulas that may include travel time from regional Ninja offices or other proprietary factors…

[quote]speculate all day

[/quote]

My guess: Originating IP addresses are easier to fake than phone numbers.

Some of my domains are: pixelzine.com and misura.org among others. The issue has been resolved. Turns out the web server couldn’t mount the file server (saltine).

I understand there were a lot of issues in the ticketing system, but I just felt that are rather “large” issue was being ignored. Do the tickets not have a priority? Of course it could easily be abused if it is determined by the user, but I try to not say things are “SUPER URGENT” unless they are.

I would also consider the fact that the System wide ticket would have gotten more attention, especially when it confirms multiple domains are down (they were all down, so I’m not sure why the tool only thought some of them were).

Yeah, that “System Wide” “check” is a little misleading - it does not run any diagnostic or actually check the “system”, it only checks for other reports that affect the sames servers, etc.

Hence, if you are the only one who reported it, even though it is a “system failure” that effects others, it will not be picked up as such until a second report is received.

–rlparker