What's the deal with promo codes?

Hi, I just recently started researching a number of web hosts and came across DreamHost. I am confused about one thing, though, and that is the vast amount of promo codes I’ve begun to see. Not only do I see them on this forum, but across many other hosting related sites. If I’m about to sign up how can I be sure I’m getting a good deal?

It all seems very scheming and unprofessional at first glance… please inform me.

Perhaps this should be made as a separate thread, but are those disk storage and monthly bandwidth numbers for real? They’re so disproportionately large compared to a lot of the other hosts I’ve looked at.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

At the moment you would obtain the best deal by using DreamHost’s own 9999 anniversary code, which provides a $99.99 discount on 1 year and 2 year plans.

Not at all, promo-codes are just one of the methods that DreamHost uses to reward their customers for referring new customers to them. Every existing customer has the ability to create promo-codes, the discount offered by a particular promo-code comes out of the $97 referral reward that DreamHost pays existing customers for each referral. Different customers choose to offer different discounts, hence the wide variety of promo-codes out there.

Yes, but remember that disk storage and bandwidth are not the only resources consumed by sites on a shared host, there are also things like CPU/RAM usage. While DreamHost has no hard limits on resource usage, your site can be suspended if it uses enough system resources to adversely affect others on your shared server.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Looks like you got your answers, but just to expand on this…

Actually, it’s pretty much the opposite.

Most hosts offer an affiliate program that will pay you for referring people, usually in the $20 - $100+ range per new customer.

In Dreamhost’s case, that amount is $97–but unlike the others, they let you pass that $97 (or part of it) on to the person that’s signing up.

The referrer can still make money, though. The $97 discount is only good for 1 & 2 year plans. If you sign up for a $9.95/monthly plan, you would only save $50 and the referrer would get $47. Plus, if you refer someone, the person that referred you would get $5 (even if you made $0 using a promo code).

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

[quote]It all seems very scheming and unprofessional at first glance… please inform me.

[/quote]

Sounds like Marketing. :slight_smile: Don’t look behind the curtain… Hurry, the disk space and data transfer limits are decreasing fast… All part of the game. A bit manipulative, etc., but that’s buyer/seller psychology for you.

[quote]numbers real?

[/quote]

You can have your cake, or eat it.

Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

So many people are used to being scammed it’s hard to give them a good deal.

Note - Promo codes only work for new users. When renewal time comes by you’ll have to pay full price.

Some people (you’ve probably seen them) have been less than happy with the service they’ve received here but they certainly must be in the minority with more than 400,000 domains hosted.

Good luck in chosing a hosting company!

Wholly

If you read through this forum, you will find a plenty of promo codes and I think all of them are working.

Just make sure you key in the promo code when you sign up a plan and look at your bill carefully. It will automatically show the discount :stuck_out_tongue:

good eh!

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

I believe we were told that the “reductions” in bandwidth and disk space would not be enforced if a promo code was used.

Wholly

Yeah, I too recall Josh saying something like that on the DreamHost blog.

Of-course, the ‘reductions’ don’t mean much in reality. Firstly, I doubt most customers use anywhere near their allocated space or bandwidth. Secondly, with the weekly additions being added to the quota, it wouldn’t take very long to regain whatever quota you ‘lost’ by waiting a few extra days to sign-up.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

So let me get this straight.

For example, I want to buy the “Crazy Domain Insane!” for 1 year, which would cost me 119,40$. Using the promo code 9999, I’d only end up paying 19,41$? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, it just sounds too good to be true, heh.

Yes, that is correct. You only need to pay 19.41 for “Crazy Domain Insane” for 1 year with the promo code. What a big deal! Thank DH and the person who provides the promo code.

Be noted that this is only available for new customers. You can’t use the promo code again when you try to renew your plan.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

I can assure you that the discounts provided by promo-codes are very real. Although, the 9999 popup is gone from the DreamHost front page, so that code may not be active any more. Although, I am sure you will be able to find another promo-code if you look hard enough. :slight_smile:

I have no inside info on the DreamHost business plan, but I imagine they are willing to sacrifice their profit from the first year of hosting in order to gain a new customer, hoping that customer will like the service enough to renew their hosting at full price, I know I did. :slight_smile:

Mark

I see. Thank you for the advice, I’ll look into it. :slight_smile:

No problem.

If you find the 9999 anniversary promo is no longer active, you can always wait a little while, they seem to throw it up as a ‘one day only’ thing every couple of weeks. :stuck_out_tongue:

or as I stated above, you shouldn’t have too many problems finding a user created promo code that offers a similar discount (give or take a couple of dollars).

Mark

Well… I was thinking about using the 97CRAZY one, seen as it’s only 2 $ away from the other one and is obviously more reliable? I’ve not browsed enough to find where the codes might be listed yet but… I’ll get there.

Yep, that one should work as well as any other. :slight_smile:

It is not really a case of ‘reliability’, it is just that DreamHost’s own promo-codes, like 9999, tend to only be brought out on special occasions, while the user created promo-codes, like 97CRAZY, are constantly active.

Mark

Yes, that’s what I meant… Apologies for my poor use of words. :slight_smile:

Some people have even better deals than the 9999 promo code :wink: .

Simon’s website
Save $100 on 1-year plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY100[/color] (details)

Welcome to DH!

and did we remind you that paypal payment is not refundable? DH prefers Google Checkout.

I’m looking at the signup page. What opportunity is given to verify the final price before committing to a certain code? If someone says their code gives a $97 discount, I want to be able to check that before agreeing to anything.

The promo code is checked by the system (promo codes can be deactivated, so this is a necessary step) and you are given a final total.

Simon’s website
Save $100 on 1-year plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY100[/color] (details)