What's support like?

I’m thinking about signing up with Dreamhost, but I’m trying to figure out what support is like. Is it mostly DIY with the wiki and these forums? (I.e., is it more experienced users helping less experienced users, or does Dreamhost itself provide some support, and how do you access it?)
Thanks. SamGins

I think it depends on what you mean by support. Dreamhost does expect that you know what you’re doing, but if you run into trouble that’s not of your own doing, they will help. Even if you’ve caused the problem yourself, they’ve been generous enough to help at a lower priority than, say, fixing what I’d call legitimate support requests.

I’m not quite sure if I’m answering your question. You’re not expecting them to teach you html or how to follow the instructions for installing software, are you? :slight_smile:

Regarding how to access support, there’s a page in the panel where you submit support requests. You then interact with support via email unless you’ve purchased phone support callbacks.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

Well, for example, if I can’t figure out what the FTP address is (although there seems to be pretty clear info on that one), or how to do something in the control panel. I’m starting to think that the Dreamhost users community gets back to someone faster than most firm’s support department, since I didn’t have to wait very long for you.

Thanks.

Samgins

It’s true that for run-of-the-mill advice, you probably get faster responses here, but anything for which you need someone who has root access on your server is probably something you need to address to support. :slight_smile:

Response time varies based on how severe your problem is and how busy support is. In a major crisis, they’re triaging like mad and trying to get the as many customers back up as quickly as possible so regular questions may be delayed.

I’ve always gotten prompt answers to any of my questions. Even low priority stuff seems to be answered within 24 hours. That’s just my experience…

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

Hey, thanks for your help.

Sam

Anytime!

It’s good to you doing the research and due diligence before making a decision. Too often people don’t ask the right questions and thus end up with unrealistic expectations of what hosting here is like.

I’ve been really happy with the support here. They have taken care of my issues with one shot as opposed to the multiple emails it used to require with my previous host.

Thu

I agree with the last comment…that I can usually get things resolved in a single email, which means that the folks on the other end of th email support are really intelligent…not so with other hosting companies I deal with, where I’m lucky to even get a response.

Support has been great for me. Fast and they understood my question and I understood the reply.

http://theMezz.com

I have found Dreamhost’s support to be beyond excellent in quality, often very prompt, usually plenty timely) sometimes a little slow (rare, but sometimes!). When it IS slow, it is more than made up for by the quality… the responses I get are always from people who seem to be genuinely dedicated to dealing with my issue, with no blowoffs or prolongings (asking unnecessary questions to delay having to actually do anything).

Often, on any deeper issues, the support rep with take ownership of the issue and all back and forth will be with that one person until the issue is completely taken care of.

I also enjoy the sometimes laid back, organic, truly human vibe behind the responses… I like being able to communicate with regular folk and not corporate drones trying to maintain a facade of pseudo-professionalism.

And though it may seem a small thing on the surface, I REALLY appreciate the closings such as:

“thanks again for reporting and if you every find any other issues let us know!”

“If you have any other questions or would like more information just let me know!”

“If you have any other questions or need anything else, just write back and let me know! I’m here to help.”

“If there is anything more we can help you with, please let us know and we will be more than happy to accommodate!”

And so far it looks like they mean it… they have gone to far more trouble accommodating me than any other host ever has, and more than most ANY type of business has.

The longer I stay with Dreamhost (even through the rough times) the more I am pleased with the overall experience I am having, with anything that’s less than perfect being well balanced out by many things that are beyond awesome.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain