What's my IP | No domain registered

Hi,

I have a hosting package with a domain at another site which I want to move over to Dreamhost. I need some time to build the site, the old one was made with some nasty Flash tool, so I wish to start from scratch. In the meantime, I’d like to keep my domain pointing at the current Flash admonination, and when I’m ready, change the DNS records for that domain to my dreamhost account.

Whilst developing the site, I’d be content typing the IP address in, but all the instructions I’ve found to find the IP address assume you have linked a domain name to your accout, which I haven’t done yet. Any suggestions? I’d rather not have to buy another domain just to test my new site.

Thank you for your time.

Welcome to DreamHost! :slight_smile:

If you have a hosting account already then you can actually add a free dreamhosters.com sub-domain and browse to it almost immediately.

Panel > Domains > Manage Domains > Add New Domain / Sub-Domain

Just input [WhateverYouLike].dreamhosters.com as the domain name and set it to Fully Hosted.

Thank you for the welcome message and the help. I have subdomain running now!

Best wishes.
[hr]

Well, the subdomain has just gone down it seems… Update: it came back up. Bit concerned about the server blipping already.

Ouch! That was quick :frowning:

Here’s the Support link in case it’s a server issue: Panel > Support > Contact Support (just to let them know).

In the interim, could you describe what type of site you are testing?

What exactly happaned? Are you sure it was the server?

It could be DNS.