What's my FTP server?

apps

Just what it says: WHAT IS MY FTP SERVER? I’m trying to install AROUNDme and it says this:
Warning: ftp_chmod() [function.ftp-chmod]: /public_html/aroundme_0_7_1_ties/aroundme/components/core/config/: No such file or directory in /home/.orwell/willdex/my_domain/aroundme_0_7_0/install/installer/header.inc.php on line 176
Failed to change permissions to /public_html/aroundme_0_7_1_ties/aroundme/components/core/config/

By the way, what’s .orwell?

Orwell was an English author.

.orwell refers to a “dataglob”, which is best explained by Dallas, a honcho.

They hired more support help.
Tip me (and DreamHost gets 5%+$0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999[/color]=$99.99 Off

Aha, got it. I’ve read Orwell’s Shooting an Elephant. Nice. What about that FTP server? Any ideas?

your ftp server can be referred to as either yourname.com or yourservername.dreamhost.com. It does not, however, look to me as though the name of your ftp server is the problem as indicated by your error message; it looks as though the install script can’t find /public_html/aroundme_0_7_1_ties/aroundme/components/core/config/.

I have installed AROUNDme without incident, but I have not yet attempted to install the latest release (which is what you are using).

–rlparker

If you go look at:

/home/willdex/my_domain/aroundme_0_7_0/install/installer/header.inc.php on line 176

you’ll see it’s trying to check/change permissions, apparently using FTP. If you read the install manually instructions, there’s steps for that (changing permissions). Since it’s looking for 777, I think, and DreamHost’s system likes 755 usually, that may cause some grief eventually. But, for now,

/public_html/aroundme_0_7_1_ties/aroundme/components/core/config/

is probably just not found. Something is apparently making it look in /public_html instead of under /home/wildex/your_domain/… Maybe something not quite right in the initial config?

1984! All scripts are equal, but some scripts are more equal than others… :slight_smile:

Tip me (and DreamHost gets 5%+$0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999[/color]=$99.99 Off

Ok, but here’s what’s shown on lines 175-179:
$dir = DIR_NAME . “aroundme/components/core/config/”;
if(!ftp_chmod($conn, 0777, $dir)) {
echo $lang[].$dir;
ftp_close($conn);
return false;

Doesn’t this mean that if it detects 777 in config, it’ll give me the error message? I mean, I’m not a php-freak or even a coder, but it would make sense: if…chmod=777…then_give_out_the_‘error_fail_permission’ That’s what I think.

You got two opinions telling you, in essence:

“it looks as though the install script can’t find /public_html/aroundme_0_7_1_ties/aroundme/components/core/config/.”

I’d look for a reason it’s looking for /public_html/, and worry about the permission details later, if ever.

Re the /public_html/, I’ve removed that from the install.php, so now it gives me this:
Warning: ftp_chmod() [function.ftp-chmod]: /aroundme_0_7_1_ties/aroundme/components/core/config/: No such file or directory in /home/.orwell/willdex/my_domain/install/installer/header.inc.php on line 176
Failed to change permissions to /aroundme_0_7_1_ties/aroundme/components/core/config/

Basically, it’s the same thing; I’ve looked under aroundme_core.config.php, changed some goodies, such as database name, host, user, pass [it was on default, like localhost, user name, password, mysql, and it did absolutely nothing. I still get the very same message.
By the way, the FTP server I’m using is tab.dreamhost.com.

I think, in header.inc.php, where it had:

define (‘DIR_NAME’, ‘/public_html/aroundme_0_7_1_ties/’);

rather than delete /public_html , you probably need to change it to something like

define (‘DIR_NAME’, ‘/home/willdex/your_domain/aroundme_0_7_1_ties/’); *************Edit: 2 letter l’s

so the path is to somewhere in your area.

I hope it has your FTP username/password somewhere, because it’s not necessarily the same as for MySQL.

I’m starting to think the manual install sounds better all the time.

Tip me (and DreamHost gets 5% $0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999[/color]=$99.99 Off

Rlparker, how did you install the software?

Changed that: same poop:

Warning: ftp_chmod() [function.ftp-chmod]: /home/willdex/my_domain/aroundme/components/core/config/: No such file or directory in /home/.orwell/willdex/my_domain/install/installer/header.inc.php on line 176
Failed to change permissions to /home/willdex/my_domain/aroundme/components/core/config/

Well, it changed a little. Does the directory

/home/willdex/my_domain/aroundme/components/core/config/

actually exist?

I think you’re just working on step 1, which is easy by manual methods:

[/quote]

1. Copy the files to a directory in your web server. CHMOD to 770 the
    assets, cache and log directories. When uploading the fonts directory
    please ensure that you transfer in binary mode.

2. Use the included install/aroundme.sql file to populate a database (you will need
    to manually create a new database first). For development we recommend
    using MySQL, however ADOdb supports many database types. Please note, we
    have only tested this software with MySQL. No support for other databases
    can be given at this time.

You can edit the aroundme.sql file to change the prefix of the database
name. By default this is “am_<database_table_name>”, but if you wish
to have multiple instances of AROUNDMe under one account you can edit this
to anything such as “am_dev_<database_table_name>” - remember to update
the server_config file db_prefix var to reflect your changes.

1. Edit the aroundme/componenets/core/config/aroundme_core.config.php with
    your server and database connection variables.

2. [optional] If you require spell checking and you have Aspell installed
    update the $c_node[‘node’][‘language’][‘aspell’][‘command’] variable to
    include the path to you Aspell installation. Standard aspell installs
    are:

WINDOWS '“C:\Program Files\Aspell\bin\aspell.exe”'
GNU/Linux “/usr/local/bin/aspell”

The directory does exist.

1. I’ve copied the font directory in Binary mode and have changed the www.mywebsite.com/asset and log. I don’t have the cache directory.
  2. I’ve created my own database.
  3. I’ve edited the aroundme/componenets/core/config/aroundme_core.config.php file to suit my needs:
    $core_config[‘db’][‘driver’] = “mysql”;
    $core_config[‘db’][‘host’] = “mysql.mydomain.com”; of course, my site isn’t called like this
    $core_config[‘db’][‘user’] = “willdex”;
    $core_config[‘db’][‘pass’] = “my_pass”;
    $core_config[‘db’][‘db’]= “my_db_name”; fabricated name
    $core_config[‘db’][‘prefix’] = “am”;

Any update?..

Update on what?

Ok, I got Step 1 to work: here’s what I did:

Line 30 in www.yoursite.com/install/installer/header.inc.php should be like this: define (‘DIR_NAME’, ‘www.yoursite.com/’);

That’s basically it. Don’t forget any slashes! Vital stuff in programming. I’m sure there will be other problems, but you know what…lets solve them one at a time.

New crap in Step 3:

Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Bad arguments. in /home/.orwell/willdex/www.mydomain.com/aroundme/components/core/class/Adodb/adodb-datadict.inc.php on line 665
Failed to create database

I’ll take a look in that and will keep you guys updated.
Please be advised: whenever I put www.mydomain.com or www.yoursite.com as the domain name, do not think that it should be this way!

Here’s what it says in line 665: $s .= implode(",\n", $lines);

That’s normal…the install routine is trying to crate the database and can’t (you don’t have perissions to create databases via pHP on dreamhost - use the COntrol Panel for that).

–rlparker