Whats going on?

hi

i just signed up today and really dont know much about programming or anything to do with making a website, so when this happened, i found myself totally stuck:

i installed the phpbb software directly to the homepage www.passinglife.com/ just to see how it was and found that it was a forum-like program, which i dont want, so i removed it. so i tried installing the wordpress software and i couldnt install that to the homepage as it said that directory wasn’t empty, i can install it to www.passinglife.com/blog or whatever. anyway, i tried using the expression software from ms and it wont go online - when i go to the home page it says :

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not query config information

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1146 Table ‘passinglife.phpbb_config’ doesn’t exist

SELECT * FROM phpbb_config

Line : 215
File : common.php

so im thinking the phpbb thing was removed wrongly, but theres only one way to do it, ive deleted everything, databases, software etc, but i cant upload anything to the homepage now.

also, just so i know, cause its kinda confusing, when uploading with other software, what are the remote website location and ftp directory? is the remote website location the address of my site, or is it directly to do with dreamhost? is the ftp directory my database?

i so dont get this at all.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers

How did you remove it?

I dont’ understand what you mean by “expression software.” Could you elaborate?

You mean when you go to www.passinglife.com where you just “removed” phpBB?

Anyway, I have this feeling you didn’t completely remove the phpBB files from the www.passinglife.com directory. What does webFTP say is in the directory?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

You are correct with phpbb to remove it just delete it. However it is possible there are some hidden files these are files that start with a period for example .htaccess file. best thing to do get your self a free ftp program like filezilla found on sourceforge. This program will allow to you enble hidden files. Not sure if webftp will display hidden files or not as I haven’t checked.

[quote]phpBB : Critical Error

Could not query config information

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1146 Table ‘passinglife.phpbb_config’ doesn’t exist

SELECT * FROM phpbb_config

Line : 215
File : common.php
[/quote]
This tells me that there are some files still in your directory at minimum is common.php.
The remote website location should be just your domain name. The program should also ask what your working directory is which would also be your domain name. Ther should be some kind of test button to verify that the program could access your site. Do you know if expression uses ftp or webdav to connect. The method I mentioned is for ftp.
Silk

My website

[quote]I dont’ understand what you mean by “expression software.” Could you elaborate?
[/quote]
Expression is Microsofts new web development program. I beleive it will be replacing frontpage. MS Expression Web
Silk

My website

thanks for the replies

How did you remove it?
Yeh i just deleted it.

expression is the new version of frontpage basically.

how do i check what the webFTP says is in the directory

expression seems to have a few ways, but ftp is the one i was trying to use.

so if i get this filezilla program, i should be able to see the hidden file to do with phpbb and then i just delete that?

thanks

hey

thanks very much, the filezilla thing sorted it out.

cheers

Your welcome
Silk

My website