What Would You Think If You Were Out Of Commission For Five Days?

I have quite a bit of patience; I really do. It’s a big world, everyone has their own business to run, and I realize I’m not the priority. However, I’m really irritated reading through all these threads and seeing these responses from DH moderators.

I submitted a ticked on 1/16 because my site was hacked and I was UNABLE to access certain files. I did not get a response until 1/19. AND, my site is STILL screwed up and non-functional as of today, 1/21.

Dreamhost, I really don’t know how you do it. How can any business stay IN business with this lack of regard? Well, it’s your pricing schedule, of course. I’ve been with you over three years and I must say this: It’s just not worth it. Maybe you could look at my support ticket before the week is out… this is only my career we’re talking about.

413 errors… I can’t even change a font color or remove a script from my footer without being told the request entity is too large. Yes, really. AND I have all sorts of permission restrictions on files that I never had before and when I go to change them so I can, you know, move or copy a file, I am not “authorized.” I’m talking simple things such as, oh, copying an img file in WP (FTP)

Hi,

It does really suck when your website is down and you don’t know what to do about it.

However, you should be careful about how you apportion blame for the outage. If the servers are still running, then DH’s liability is just about nil. Check the ToS. The only thing they guarantee is to provide servers connected to the internet and the rest is up to you. They are more like the power company rather than an electronics retailer.

If your account has been compromised due to the software you are using or the configuration you have set up, then really it’s your responsibility to fix the problem. It seems that DH may help on occasion, but it’s beyond what they guarantee in the ToS.

You may want to either a) learn how to SSH into your account and fix the problem yourself or b) find someone who has the skills to do so. There are a variety of wiki pages to help you out if you want to go at it alone as well as hundreds of posts in this discussion board about dealing with hacked sites. There are also companies that will do it all for you for a flat rate (USD$50 I think).

I hope you do get help from DH, but it may be faster to take responsibility for your own website and deal with it. Unless you can show that DH’s server configuration or perhaps password breach last year was somehow an enabling factor in the intrusion, then there’s not much that DH is obligated to do about it.

Hello Wendie,

I apologize for the frustration in all this. A hacked site has got to be one of the worst things to deal with and I’m sorry our support hasn’t made that any easier for you. All reported hacked sites get investigated by our security/abuse dept. and I do know they have had a mountain of tickets sent their way in the past few weeks. I apologize for the delay in response. If you could please supply me with a ticket# or the domain name you’re having the issues will I’ll look into it and update you on the status as soon as possible. If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to ask.

I hope we can get things shorted out,

Matt C
DreamHost Social Support