What Top Level Domains Are Supported?

I tried to transfer a *.ca domain during setup and it wouldn’t let me.

Is this because there is no support for *.ca domains (like some hosting providers) or that the mechanism for transfering *.ca domains is different?

.ca domains should work just fine. You may want to look at the domain transfer checklist on the DreamHost wiki.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Perfect, thanks.

You can definitely host .ca domains with DreamHost, but I don’t think you can transfer .ca domains to them. At least DreamHost only let you registrar .com, .net, .org and .info domains.

Transfers Description
How do I transfer a Domain Registration to DreamHost?

I host a Danish domain (.dk) with DreamHost. I’ve just setup the domain to use DreamHost nameservers (ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, ns3.dreamhost.com) with the national hostmaster (dk-hostmaster.dk).

[color=#000000]DreamHost Promo Code[/color]: [color=#CC0000]Save $50[/color] with the promo code DREAMTEAM

I guess have to host the name at a registrar and then have the dns point towards my site.

Thanks

This is correct. We’re only a registrar for .com .net .org and I believe .info. We’re not an authorized Canadian domain registrar so you’d have to register the domain somewhere else, then during the setup, set your name servers to:

ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com
ns3.dreamhost.com

Everything should then work as expected.