What to do about large mysql database imports?

Im trying to import one of our forum mysql databases, and get this error:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 52428800 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 31966196 bytes) in /usr/local/dh/web/phpmyadmin/libraries/unzip.lib.php on line 324

Zipped up the database is about 7.5MB Unzipped it is about 78MB

Any solutions on what to do with larger mysql database imports?

Thanks,

PhpMyAdmin will break with files that size…use the MySQL command line in the shell instead. :wink: , and make sure to “nice” the whole thing.

Or break the import into smaller chunks.

–rlparker

Okay…

Maybe someone could go into detail how to do this…

On my own server it’s right in front of me so it’s easy graphically to do things such as what you suggest (I think), but I’ts been a really long time since I’ve had to do anything beyond simple FTP for a website.

Please someone explain what I have to do in detail when you have the time.

Thanks,
Adam

Well, if it comes to that, maybe we can go that route, though I really would prefer you review the DH WIki article on Migrating MySQL databases , and give it a try first.

It is really described about as well there as I am likely to be able to do it, and between that and a little google time, I suspect you’ll be up and running in no time.

Pay particular attention to the shell/command line sections of the article, as you have already determined that PhpMyAdmin can’t handle a file that size.

Make sure also that your user is set up to be a “shell” user, and that you can access the shell via an ssh client program before proceeding. If you need help with that, start with the DH Wiki article on the shell, and follow the “see also” links you will find there for ssh, shell commands, and enabling shell access.

If after you have read the indicated material, and given it a try, if you post back with a specific question I’m happy to try to help you further. :wink:

–rlparker

Just use BigDump if you’re having trouble importing through the shell.

emufarmers.com
Very little to do with either emus or farmers!