What Tech Support?

I am getting thoroughly discussed with trying to deal with getting a response from DreamHost Tech Support for help.
When I first signed up a couple of months ago, the response time and the help provided was “GREAT”! But it has gone from a plus one to a minus zero.

I send in a request for a problem.
After waiting more then 24 hours and no response, I send in another request.
When I finally get a response it is a half a** insufficient reply that is as clear as mud. The bottom of the reply says “if you have any other questions” let us know. So I do,
I quickly reply to the email with my additional concerns because the answer did nothing to solve my problem and guess what?
Apparently my reply is treated as a Brand NEW question with a NEW tracking number I am back to square one of waiting again.

It has now been over 3 days and I still have not had a answer to my problem. I only received the a form reply. ("we received your question etc… etc…)

You might as well say there is zero tech support from DreamHost now.

I think the problem is … when they begin to offer unlimited hosting they were not prepared with Server capability or adequate tech support and they have dropped the ball.

I plan to start searching for another Host for my Domains.
Unlimited hosting and all the other perks DreamHost offers isn’t worth a dime to me if there are going to be problems time and time again and lousy tech support.
Not to mention my site being down several times.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a good reliable Host with good tech support ?

on Edit…

[quote] I think the problem is … when they begin to offer unlimited hosting they were not prepared with Server capability or adequate tech support and they have dropped the ball
[/quote]
What I meant to say is …When they begin to offer hosting for UNLIMITED DOMAINS, not unlimited hosting.

moon,

I have most of my domains hosted over at 1and1 right now - they actually have 1800 24x7 tech support and amazingly the folks you speak to are not reading out of some sort of troubleshooting script manual. You can be on hold sometimes for a bit (the most i’ve ever waited was 12 minutes), but it is well worth the wait and it’s on their quarter. The domains cost about 1/2 of what DH charges, but I have heard they can be a real bugger about transferring domains out of their service so this should be kept in mind. They aren’t the happy treehugger types so if you are looking for upbeat whimsical responses to your problems, they probably won’t be right for you - but, if you are in this for business, i’d rather have a matter of fact response in a couple of minutes than a sickingly sweet one that takes 3 days. I will say one thing about 1and1 that I don’t like - their “referral program” borders on the ridiculous. Let me explain and tell me what you think.

I joined DH three years ago (back in the golden era :slight_smile: on a referral from my brother who told me about them (he was with DH for a little over 7 years) - now i didn’t click on a referral link or anything, my brother simply wrote to DH told them that he had referred me (I gave him all the information that DH would possibly need to make the decision) - my brother told me that within a few days, he received credit for this referral. Earlier this year, when DH began to offer everything to everybody and clearly was not in a position to do so (support ques were living in the 1100 + range and were not shrinking a bit), I decided to take the bulk of my business elsewhere and simply hang onto DH for the clients I have that really do not care as much, so i moved to 1and1. I was there about 3 months and told my brother that 1and1 was worth researching for his business, he researched it, and than ended up joining (not through any referral link or click thru- simply on my “word of mouth”). Seeing that I was explicitly involved with this move over to 1and1, i felt i deserved their published referral bonus. I wrote to 1and1 about this and they told me that in “absolutely no circumstance” could i receive this referral bonus because i didn’t use their affiliate link to do so. In this world of computers, i cannot believe that we have grown so far out of touch with the human element, that an actual “word of mouth” referral would not be rewarded the same, so I will not speak to any of my human friends anymore to refer them to 1and1 due to this insane incident.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Thanks for the suggestion about 1and1. Their price for Domain Name registration sure llooks good. What about Domain Name renewal or transfers? I wonder if the price is as good for that??? One thing that bothers me is what you said about them being hard to transfer a Domain out of their service. Down the road if they turn out to be unreliable like DH I want to be able to get away. DH seemed like the ideal hosting until here recently.

I don’t need or want any happy treehugger type for tech support. I only want a direct solution from someone who is knowledgeable and not just guessing or grasping at straws to help me.

In my opinion when it come to the referral programs, DH was nicer about that than 1and1.

My main concern is First of all - RELIABLITY for my site to be up and running.
Second - TECH SUPPORT that does not exceed 24 hours and ANSWERS that truely address the problem, not try to whitewash it away to give me the blow off.
I don’t think that is asking too much, do you?

<Thanks for the suggestion about 1and1. Their price for Domain Name registration sure llooks good. What about Domain Name renewal or transfers? I wonder if the price is as good for that??? One thing that bothers me is what you said about them being hard to transfer a Domain out of their service. Down the road if they turn out to be unreliable like DH I want to be able to get away. DH seemed like the ideal hosting until here recently.>

Actually 1and1’s prices are the same price for transfers as new and if you step up to one of their developer plans or dedicated server plans they give you at least 5 free domains.

<I don’t need or want any happy treehugger type for tech support. I only want a direct solution from someone who is knowledgeable and not just guessing or grasping at straws to help me.>

you and me both - 1and1 definitely has far superior tech support with one exception, since they are a global provider, you sometimes end up with a tech agent out of India and UK and I have had some difficulties understanding the folks from India and the Brits sometimes talk far too fast for me :wink: great thing about them is that you just ask them to transfer you to an american call center and it is done instantly.

<In my opinion when it come to the referral programs, DH was nicer about that than 1and1.>

I would agree - I was appalled by 1and1’s handling of my case.

<My main concern is First of all - RELIABLITY for my site to be up and running.>

I have not had a second of downtime since i switched to them almost a year ago

<Second - TECH SUPPORT that does not exceed 24 hours and ANSWERS that truely address the problem, not try to whitewash it away to give me the blow off.>

They definitely have far superior tech support compared to DH.

<I don’t think that is asking too much, do you?>

I wondered the same about a year ago, now i know that it isn’t asking too much :slight_smile:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

<Also notable - 1&1 gives “free” (i.e. included) Private domain registrations.>

Believe it or not, i was not a big fan of this move; i think it encourages spam houses to abuse - time will tell.

<I didn’t realize DH’ers are treehuggers. Any evidence?>

I am from the right coast, those on the left are all tree huggers “kidding”, especially those that respond to every emergency event in such a sickingly sweet and corny manner…JMHO

<On support delays, I’ve also seen some, and some responses have been somewhat lesser quality than previously, but I assume that comes with expansion and learning/training of new support staff.>

Unfortunately, bob, I don’t think it is fair to simply look past these events. Plenty of companies go through routine expansions with far greater efficiency…

Once again, just my opinion.

Chris

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

bob,

i’ve tried the “polite” way of doing things, what is my next course of action :wink:

on another note, since DH is primarily made up of true programmers, I really do wonder if I am the only one using the FP extensions :stuck_out_tongue:

Chris

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

If you’re using Frontpage get a windows host. MS is refusing to make extensions available for other servers for newer versions of FP.

<If you’re using Frontpage get a windows host. MS is refusing to make extensions available for other servers for newer versions of FP.>

Ilion,

While very colourful, that statement could not be further from the truth. DH themselves proudly publishes that they have the extensions for FP 2003 and earlier and I am already hosted on a linux server through another hosting company and have not have 1 wee of trouble. The whole microsoft mything seems to be a full time job for some peeps out there :stuck_out_tongue:

Chris

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

And does 2003 count as newer versions of Frontpage? I’d say no.

Honestly, whatever my feelings about frontpage are I’m not trying to hack it here. But if you are going to use it, you’d be better served by going the whole route and just get Windows hosting.

<And does 2003 count as newer versions of Frontpage? I’d say no.>

and you would be incorrect to say that. While there are beta versions of office (including FP) due out, 2003 is still the newest retail box.

<Honestly, whatever my feelings about frontpage are I’m not trying to hack it here. But if you are going to use it, you’d be better served by going the whole route and just get Windows hosting.>

If you would have read my previous post, i already indicated that i moved a bulk of my business to another hosting provider and i use their LINUX hosting for this and haven’t had one ioda of difficulty as of the writing of this message :slight_smile:

Chris

IAmAtMyWitsEnd