What Should I Do When My Site Goes Down?

My site, www.discourse.net is down. Http doesn’t work, telnet doesn’t work, ping from two different machines doesn’t work. I sent in a tech support note via the web form, and I see I’m waaay down a long queue. (Indeed, a note a sent in this morning on something minor is still not that near the top.) Meanwhile, the site is down. That is bad. Worse, I have no idea if anyone at DH is even aware of the problem, and no idea if it’s going to be fixed soon, or I should give up for the day and go to sleep.

Is there an emergency e-mail address or something to notify when this happens? Some way to get a guesstimate of how long it will be until it’s up again? The ‘status’ page just advertises 100% uptime. Not much help…and worse, it says it was updated 1 min and 39 seconds ago – yet I’ve been down for 15 minutes at least.

I suppose I could use my one phone monthly call request – but I have no idea if those get processed any faster. Do they jump the queue, or will I get a call in 12 hours, which I hope will be long after this is fixed?

Cry?:slight_smile: My sites have been down as well - what server are you on? Getting close to an hour for me and i’ve 6 domains w/o websites, email, 3 stores down…grr. agh. I can telnet into good ol’ gir, but can;t login - after submiting the password it just hangs.

I am on dawber. Is this typical? (I’ve only been using
DH for 2 weeks so far.)

God, I am wondering to if this is normal for dh. Totally lame for this amount of time and no way to find out what the deal is. Don’t they have like BACKUP servers? I am thinking of going through all the trouble of switching if this is the norm. I noticed this is the third time since May that this has happened. NOT COOL.

You may not be cool, but your baby can be.

Heh heh 100% uptime of at least one domain. HA

You may not be cool, but your baby can be.

I’m on the machine otto and it has been down over an hour. I can ping to it but not ssh or HTTP to it. Maybe a DDoS attack.

To answer your question – it is my perception that reliability on DreamHost has gotten significantly worse over the last few months. I didn’t used to have any problems. Rather problems were less severe and much less frequent. Now my site goes down quite a bit, and mail services have been spotty for weeks. Support reply times seem to have gotten longer. I used to get replies to non-critical issues in a few hours. Now more severe problems are taking over a day for a response. I was recently (after much complaining) moved from a different machine to otto, which seemed to help things a bit on the HTTP side. But today’s outage is pretty bad.

I know this has been the summer of nasty viruses and DDoS attacks, but if DH cannot handle these issues perhaps it is time to find someone else that can. Maybe I’ll change my mind when my blood cools down a bit tomorrow. Or maybe not.

And don’t even bother looking at the uptime statistics. They are utterly useless and frustrating.

regards,
matt bendiksen

Well, they could either have a special email address for reporting outages, with an auto-responder giving latest status, or they could at least send out a general email…

Yes, it came back a few minutes ago. Also I got the message quoted below, which is nice, but I’d really much much rather have gotten one at the start saying, “hey, we know there’s a problem, we’re working on it” – either that or something on the status page, even just text…

E-mail message follows:
==start quote==

Hello Dreamhost Users!

Most of you receiving this message have experienced a downtime this evening. A cluster of machines mounting a particular fileserver experienced downtime starting at approximately 8:30pm PDT. The downtime was due to the fileserver dropping its network connections unexpectedly.

It took us about 45 minutes to isolate the problem, and about 15 minutes to recover from it. Most machines should be back up now. If not, they will be back up within about 10 minutes. Machines affected include:

annie bitters cheeky dawber dib gaz gimli gir gloop gotcha harpo larry limbo monkey otto pillage plunder raiden sack salt shemp tak zim

All site services (including web, ssh, telnet, ftp, and mail) were affected by
this outage.

Happy DreamHost Clustered Team!

==end quote==

gotta like those machine names, though.

To answer your question – it is my perception that reliability on DreamHost has gotten significantly worse over the last few months. I didn’t used to have any problems. Rather problems were less severe and much less frequent. Now my site goes down quite a bit, and mail services have been spotty for weeks. Support reply times seem to have gotten longer. I used to get replies to non-critical issues in a few hours.

It does seem that way doesn’t it. Down time seems to be on the upswing. I’m hoping, as someone else said, this is just part of a down cycle and things will return to normal soon.

As for the support tickets, I’ve still never had one go over 24 hours, which is what they advertise.

However, I use to have the random ticket solved in hours or even minutes. That just doesn’t happen any more. It ALWAYS takes 24 hours. So technically speaking, they’re giving what they promise, but support isn’t quite what it use to be.