What is "your_home_directory"

…as referred to below? Thanks.

Kbase

[quote]DreamHost > FTP > Can I upload files without an FTP client?

[/quote]

Connecting Directly Via Web Browser

If you don’t want to open the Web Panel each and every time you wish to connect, you can also type (or bookmark) the following URL:

ftp://youruser:yourpass@yourdomain.com/your_home_directory/

…Simply change “youruser” to your FTP user name, and “yourpass” to your FTP password. Note that if this is bookmarked, using that bookmark will not require you to type a password when using it. If you’d rather always be prompted for a password, bookmark the following URL instead:

ftp://youruser@yourdomain.com/your_home_directory/

The full path to your home directory would be /home/username, but you’re already stuck here when you login via FTP, so you don’t need to worry about it.

I’ll see if we can update that documentation.

[quote]The full path to your home directory would be /home/username

[/quote]

So I thought, but of course that gives:

Not Found
The requested URL /home/[user] was not found on this server.

[quote]I’ll see if we can update that documentation.

[/quote]

Good to hear.

BTW the failure also says:

[quote]Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while
trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. [/quote]

Right… via FTP, this doesn’t work because you’re already chrooted to “/home/username”; i.e., “/home/username” is “/” from the point of view of the FTP program.

When you login via telnet or ssh, /home/username will take you to your home dir.

[quote]Right… via FTP, this doesn’t work because you’re already chrooted to “/home/username”

[/quote]

Well yes! But hey, I followed the instructions.

And there’s no docs mention that the chrooting goes that far. Or any mention of the chrooting at all for that matter AFAICT

I’m a fan of DH, but confess to being mystified that the procedures apparently haven’t been tested by DH or even users.

Most of the users on DH for at least FTP would be considered fairly experienced and know that FTP always drops you into at least your home directory which is

/home/username

Just one of those web things that you pick up on :wink:

You’re suggesting that as an explanation for the apparent non-testing?

Uhm, I’m sure that if more than enough people couldn’t figure out how to properly use FTP URIs on DH, that documentation would have been fixed long ago. Besides anyone using a real FTP client would be able to tell chroot is in effect, especially since DH tells you to download one in order to upload the files in the first place. Sorry you seem to have been the last to know.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

[quote]if more than enough people couldn’t figure out how to
properly use FTP URIs on DH, that documentation would
have been fixed long ago.

[/quote]

What’s “more than enough” to not fix the docs, I wonder.

[quote]a real FTP client … especially since DH tells you to download
one in order to upload the files in the first place.

[/quote]

No it doesn’t - the article in question is “Can I upload files //without// an FTP client?”

[quote]Sorry you seem to have been the last to know.

[/quote]

Rather, the first to report it ITYF.

[quote]you could go post a comment/correction in the kbase

[/quote]

OK, have done. Thanks.

I’m guessing that will serve also as a suggestion for improvement.