What is You Preferred Forum Software?

apps

PHPBB2, IPB, vBulliten are just some of the software. I understand that IPB and some others are not free, but… if every single forum software was free, which one would you prefer?

Just like to throw in Mybboard.com :). I mod for them :slight_smile:
There is also Yabb (yet another bulletin board). Both are free, at least mybb is.

I USED TO use UBB many years ago; back then, most established websites used UBB. Now they are using vBulletin, like I do. :wink:

To have lived is not enough for them, they have to talk about it. – Samuel Beckett

I haven’t actually run it myself, but I’ve always assumed that if I needed something like this, I’d use PunBB. It’s biggest attraction is that it’s lightweight and usable, without all the garbage most forum applications seem to get.

What I would actually like to see is a forum application that doesn’t look exactly like every other forum out there. Whatever happened to creativity?

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=home.sugg&current_step=Index&next_step=DoVote&sid=379&category=DreamHost.com website&voted=1

To have lived is not enough for them, they have to talk about it. – Samuel Beckett

hey, what’s up with a link that makes up vote for a sigguestion? that’s not nice, not nice at all

-Matttail

Prufrock:

Are you astroturfing for vBulletin? If you have a case to make for using that instead of what they’re using now, then explain it. Don’t just spam voting URLs in the hopes that people will click on them.

To anyone who clicks on one of these URLs that he’s posted on at least two different topics, you can remove your vote by selecting ‘My votes’ in the Show: list and removing the ones you don’t want.

[quote]Don’t just spam voting URLs in the hopes that people will click on them.

[/quote]

Sorry if I made you look like a fool; it’s not my intention. Yes, you not only can remove but also VOTE AGAINST it.

My dog has just been diagnosed with cancer, so don’t even think about barking at me. :really bad mood:

This is not a link. It is a URL, but you can’t click on it:

You’re right, I forgot I have a Greasemonkey script that converts plain text URLs into clickable links.

My point still stands though. He clearly wants people to go to the URL in question, whether they can just click on it or not, which will result in a vote being cast without any warning to the reader.

This is a good example of why web developers should always use POST instead of GET for things like this.

Thanks, ardo. I really appreciate it.

My dog has just been diagnosed with cancer, so don’t even think about barking at me. :really bad mood:

[i]> why web developers should always use POST instead of GET for things like this.

Now there’s something I’d like to see more explanation of.[/i]

Assuming you understand the terms GET and POST in this context, it should be obvious why you don’t want to modify data in response to a GET request. It’s too easy to trigger actions accidentally, some of which may be destructive.

Using POST for anything that can change state is a basic rule of web development. Imagine a web application that allows you to delete information (say, from a photo gallery or inventory or something) with a GET link rather than a POST form button. Now imagine a link prefetcher or spider going over that site, deleting all your information as it cheerfully follows every link it finds. Not a situation you want to find yourself in, or put your users in.

If this voting mechanism was built to expect votes via POST rather than GET, casting votes by simply loading a URL wouldn’t be possible.

I second this thought. I installed PunBB on my dreamhost site. Very easy to install and very lightweight. Worth checking into.

You should check out Vanilla then. It has a completely new way to look at forums, categories, etc…

http://www.getvanilla.com

bryan | website

Vanilla looks interesting. I also just started playing wiht punbb, and it certinly seems to be very light fast software. I didn’t start this topic, but I apprechate the sigguestions.

-Matttail