What is Joomla?

apps

What exactly is Joomla? AND what exactly is a CMS or Content Management System?

Does it replace a blog and a photo gallery and design software?

Joomla is a CMS. :wink:

The difference between CMS and blogs seem to be how much you can do with it, yet you hear people refer to some of them as either one.

If something will only let you make posts to a page, add a few links, etc… it’s probably a blog.

If lets you do just about anything, as well as incorporate stuff like forums and other software into the design, it’s probably a CMS.

If it’s fat, bloated and does more than you need, it’s probably a CMS, that you could replace with a lighter piece of blog software.

I just call them all CMS, since no matter how little they do, or how little your site is, whatever you install is what’s managing your content.

Personally, I like Wordpress. Between it and all of the themes/styles/plugins out there, it does anything I’d require. It’s also the most user-friendly out of the ones that I’ve tried, plus I like that it spits out valid XHTML.

Check out opensourcecms.com – they have a bunch of demos installed, so you can try them out before going through the trouble of installing one.

Another advantage to a big name like Wordpress is that with all of the people using it, you probably won’t have to look far for help when you need it.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save $96 at Dreamhost with the 96DOLLARSOFF promo code.

Interesting. Thanks!

Content Management Systems like Joomla are, in most cases, a little more “industrial strength” than what we commonly think of as blog software like Moveable Type and WordPress, though all of these packages fall under the technical definition of being content management systems. WordPress (my personal preference) and MT are completely capable of handling basic site needs with some additional cool features. If you’re planning on running a personal blog, a small to medium web site, or a lightweight news site, these packages will probably be sufficient for you.

Joomla, on the other hand, is geared more toward larger sites with distributed authorship and need for editorial workflow. As an example, you could have several authors/users submitting articles and news, but none of them would show up on the live site until a higher-level user reviewed and approved the submission. This makes Joomla very useful for corporate web sites where you want to have several employees contributing content, but need everything funneled through an approving editor.

WordPress and MT handle multiple authors just fine, but I’m not sure if they provide the editorial workflow features without modification.