What is a good CMS theme?

I know almost nothing about php and php site maintenance but I am working on a major non-profit site. What is the best cms and theme?

I need a good cms program and theme (that is easy to use and STABLE) with lots of multimedia and community features.(I also need three columns, drop down menus, web 2.0 look, screen stretching, css customization). I was using the Drupal Salamander theme but it broke on its own after a few weeks.

Thanks so much for any help you can give! I do know some css, just not php.

“Good” is a pretty subjective concept that depends pretty heavily on your particular needs. Based on your post, it sounds like what you’re looking for is something relatively simple, easy to install, and without a whole lot of maintenance requirements. Drupal and Joomla are both popular CMS packages with a lot of community support, a database of available themes, and the option for you to customize those themes or create your own.

Since you have experience already with Drupal, I assume you’ve already looked at the Drupal Themes page? Since you say you know some CSS, my recommendation would be that you find a theme that does most of the things you’re looking for and then tweak its stylesheet according to your particular needs. Some themes even have built-in capability to allow you to make some common customizations like changing logos and color schems.

Of course, Dreamhost offers Joomla as a One-Click Install, which I’ve found can go a long way toward reducing the amount of maintenance you need to do on your site. Joomla, like Drupal, has a lot of community support and a pretty robust collection of themes. Here too, I would recommend finding a theme that accomplishes most of the things you want and then modify it yourself either by tweaking the stylesheet or using the theme-provided customization tools.