What IP to use for subdomain to point in dreamhost

I have a domain hosted at a different server. I want to point my forum.domain.com to my dreamhost account via A records. In what IP should I point at?

I’m hosted at cactuscooler server. I tried cactuscooler’s IP, ns1.dreamhost’s IP but nothing happened. Just bad_httf

Thanks.

Register with the Promo Code [color=#CC0000]HOT75[/color] and get a great [color=#00CC00]$75 OFF[/color] to any DreamHost Hosting service in monthly and yearly plans!

Try using a CNAME instead.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/CNAME_record

Since IP addresses here are subject to change, the CNAME creates an alias that’s transparent to the user.

-Scott

Well, the tried and true method is to add the subdomain to your dreamhost hosting account:
Step 1: Add the parent domain to your account, but don’t host it

1. In the panel, go to “Domains>Manage Domains”.
  2. Click on “Add New Domain / Sub-Domain”.
  3. Fill in the parent domain name yourdomain.tld as a fully hosted domain. The settings don’t really matter. Click on the button to add the domain now.
  4. Go back to “Domains>Manage Domains”.
  5. Column 3 of the table of domains should be labeled “Web Hosting”. Click on the delete button for the domain that you just added. This will delete the hosting for that domain but will leave the domain as managed under your account.

Step 2: Add hosting for the subdomain

1. In the panel, go to “Domains>Manage Domains”
  2. Click on “Add New Domain / Sub-Domain”
  3. Fill in the subdomain that you actually want to host here at Dreamhost.

Step 3: Find the IP address for the subdomain

1. In the panel, go to “Domains>Manage Domains”
  2. In the first column of the domains table, find your subdomain.
  3. Click on the “DNS” link for your subdomain.
  4. Down at the bottom is a table of DNS records. Look for the A record for your subdomain. The “value” of that record is the IP address you need.

Step 4: Add a subdomain “A” record at your other domain registrar.
I can’t really give a step-by-step guide here because I’m not familiar with your other registrar. You should just be able to add an “A” record for the subdomain. The name of the record should be forum or www.forum, the type should be “A”, and the value should be that IP address you found it Step 3

3 extra lifetime domains and (the new maximum) $50 off with code [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color]. More Dreamhost coupons

Here is a new experimental method I’ve been toying with. It should make your setup immune to any IP address changes that sometimes (but rarely) occur to your hosted domains.

At your other host, add three NS records for your subdomain - use ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, and ns3.dreamhost.com as the values. This is supposed to delegate the name services for that subdomain to dreamhost rather than that other host.

You can then proceed with steps 1 and 2 from my previous post, which will add hosting for the subdomain at Dreamhost.

3 extra lifetime domains and (the new maximum) $50 off with code [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color]. More Dreamhost coupons

I’ve not seen a way to add a nameserver specifically for a subdomain. Can this be done at DreamHost?

-Scott

Name server delegation is built on top of NS records in the domain name system. When you set the name servers for your domain, what you’re really doing under the covers is adding NS records for your domain to an authorized name server for your parent domain.

At least this is my understanding of the theory of this. I’m currently in the middle of an experiment in getting this to work between my two hosting companies.

Thanks for this information. I’ll try this then i’ll post here a feedback if it works. :slight_smile:

about CNAME, i didn’t get how it will work.

using zoneedit btw,

Register with the Promo Code [color=#CC0000]HOT75[/color] and get a great [color=#00CC00]$75 OFF[/color] to any DreamHost Hosting service in monthly and yearly plans!

this works. thanks!

Did you use the standard IP address method or the newfangled NS record method?

extra domains and the new maximum $50 off with codes [color=#CC0000]1DOM50, 2DOM50 and 3DOM50[/color]. More Dreamhost coupons