What happens at end of billing period?

I signed up for DH a while back using a promo code with a 2 year billing period (crazy domain insane). I don’t really use the account except for a “spare” to test non-critical stuff on and to play around on.

The billing period ends in August and it’s not really worth me keeping the account if I have to pay the full non-discounted price ($190 for 2 years) but I wondered whether it was possible to use a discount code to get that price down to what I paid originally (I assume not) or whether it’s possible to just close the account and open a new one using a discount code (again, I assume that’s frowned upon).

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Pas de possible, I’m afraid. The discount is for new customers only, and closing the account and opening a new one would be a TOS violation that would probably result in the death of your firstborn. $190 for 2 years? - it would still be a bargain at twice that price if you ask me.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

Yes… but you cannot add your domains previously hosted with your current account as it is a violation to TOS.

Supernova

Need promo code? Use [color=#00CC00]Supernova[/color] (you get $50 off on yearly plans): SIGN UP NOW !

Check out instructions on how to apply the code ! Other promo codes also available here !

The thing is, I don’t really use the account for much. A bit of testing, hosting a few files, etc.

I don’t have any domains hosted so it looks like I could easily just close the account and open a new one but I wanted to make sure it wasn’t frowned upon to do that. Also, if it was possible to do that I was hoping it’d be easy enough to just keep the same account and apply a discount to it.

I’ll leave it for a while and see what other cheap hosts are around.

Cheers

Just to be clear - since you are not a “new customer”, using a promo code to create a new account - regardless of how you administered your existing account - is not permissible and would constitute a TOS violation. The fee for renewing your account is fair and reasonable, so I see no reason to try to game the system.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

Yes yes yes, alluding the other thread on the topic of having multiple accounts, this is exactly the situation that the ToS clause against multiple accounts was meant to stop:

I think the wording is a little odd, considering it’s meant to stop multiple accounts in sequence rather than multiple accounts in parallel.

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
They’re Dreamhost coupons!

If I am not wrong, DH does not suggest same user to have multiple accounts. If you use same credit card to sign up another hosting plan, you will be prompted that credit card is already in their system.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Your memory is failing you again, Patrick. As per this thread and this other thread, Dreamhost support has confirmed that people are allowed to have multiple accounts, but just that the multiple account rule is in place to deal with the “promotional rollover” problem.

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
They’re Dreamhost coupons!

Is this for ever or would it be possible to return later on? Say I feel $120 / year is too much now, leave for $30 / year host and finally after six months being fed up with them want to return, could I use then a coupon?

“Yes”, it is “forever”, and “NO”, you can’t use a promo code when you return “later on”. You can only be a “first time customer” once (it’s kinda like being a virgin)

No, you can only be a “first time customer” once (it’s kinda like being a virgin).

YOU CAN ONLY USE A PROMO CODE ONCE.

–rlparker

Sorry for the confusion.

I did not say DH does not ALLOW. I said DH does not SUGGEST as this The Customer agrees to hold only one (1) active web hosting service plan at any given time with DreamHost Web Hosting. Signing up for multiple plans is grounds for termination of all plans, including the first one, without warning. still in it’s TOS

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

lmao great analogy rl… you DreamHost slut you :wink:

Just touching on the TOS: The serial/parallel statement made by Lensman clears up the issue with the wording of the TOS regarding concurrent accounts. As described, that TOS clause was obviously set in place to stop people closing (or allowing accounts to lapse) then using another promocode to setup a new account at a discounted price.

You can setup multiple accounts here, you just can’t use promocodes for more than one.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan in March with MARCH08

Hey, I think I know why I am confused.

Without any promo code, can I sign up multiple accounts

1. using the same credit card?
  2. using different credit cards with the same home address?
  3. using different credit cards with the same email address?

From what I remembered (if it is not that bad, Lensman :stuck_out_tongue: ), option 1 is not allowed.

If you require another account using the same credit card just contact Support and let them know. They’ll fix you up no problems at all :wink:

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

I see. That clears my doubts. Thanks!

That’s good to know. The support person who wrote back to me suggested that I just sign up with a different credit card. Since I like to consolidate business expenses on one credit card and personal expenses on another, using one credit card for two different accounts keeps me from having to keep track of personal vs. business expenses manually!

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!