What happened to all my email?

Ok, so, normally I wouldn’t complain about a lack of spam… what sane person would? But I just moved to Dreamhost a week or so ago, and all of a sudden the general volume of email I receive is drastically reduced. But I never enabled the spam filter on my account. Even with SpamAssassin enabled at my old host, between 50-100 spams were still getting through to my inbox per day (most of which Thunderbird took care of). Now I get maybe 20 total, without even having SpamAssassin turned on here at Dreamhost.

The problem is, I’m not receiving a lot of my legitimate mail either. I no longer seem to be getting any email notifications to topics/forums I’ve subscribed to at other sites. Same thing with emails about new private messages, etc. Support ticket emails from my old host (because the company I work for is still hosted there) never get through to my inbox either.

So I’m wondering if DH has some sort of spam filter in place that I don’t have any control over… and… well… how to kill it? Or at least turn it down a notch? I’m all for reducing spam, but not at the expense of losing this much legitimate email… I count on those forum notification emails, and especially the support ticket stuff, to know when I need to check out the stuff on those particular sites, since I don’t have the time nor inclination to actively check them every single day. Besides that, if I’m losing out on those emails, how many other real emails are getting hosed that I don’t even know I should be expecting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Just for kicks and grins, I’m checking the “Email all replies to my real email address” box when I post this… it will be interesting to see if I actually get the notifications when the forum that’s sending them to me is also on a Dreamhost server…

—Jamin

Maybe somehow the DH spam filter got turned on. Check your settings in the Web Panel: https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=mail.junk& and see if the filter is on. Then, go to http://webmail2.dreamhost.com/ and log in with your complete e-mail address (not just the bit before the @ sign) and check the quarantine list to see if there’s anything there. While you’re in there, also check that your filter settings aren’t too aggressive. Threshold values of about 4 would be suitable, don’t use lower numbers unless you know what you are doing.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

You’re definitely not alone.

From 1/28 through late February I stopped receiving trade notifications from my online broker. The broker claims they went out fine, and DH claims they were never received.

Now that I see others are having the same problem, I have to wonder. Regardless, after asking DH to look into it, they have automagically started showing up again, so it seems fixed now. Just wanted to let you know it’s not just you. :wink:

Yowch. What was DHs reply to your request they look into it?