What exactly is this Files Forever thing?

I’m a little fuzzy as to what the Files Forever thing is all about.

What is the bottom-line purpose of the Files Forever system?

Once a file is put up, is its traffic tracked differently?

As I understand it, ‘Files Forever’ is a service, separate from your hosting, that allows you to store files for a fee (currently a once only fee of $2 per GByte) and allow others to download them. You can, if you choose,set a cost for the file, which others will have to pay before downloading them and DreamHost will handle the billing for you.

I can see this as a great way to distribute shareware applications etc.

Since the file is transfered from your hosting space to a ‘Permanent online file archive’, I don’t think any downloads of that file will affect your bandwidth quota.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

There is a few details on the official blog :

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#6600CC]97USD[/color] :cool: use “moua” as referrer

Can you edit the file once it’s online? Or, once it’s assigned it’s PURL, do you have to leave it exactly as is and if you want to upload a newer version, do you have to re-market a completely different PURL?

I think this is a question best directed at the developers of the service.

I was going to suggest that you post the question to the currently active discussion in the ‘beta testing’ section of the forums, but I see that you have already done so. :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

I have no problem with paying more per GB, but I don’t see the need to pay 1 cent per download when I’m offering files for free.

That totally takes away the reason I wanted to use this for. If I have anything I want to SELL, however…I’ll look into this.

edit: Hmm…I’m going to look into the “Loan” option. I’m not quite sure how that works. Can someone loan "supersoniciv@yahoo.com" a test file?