What Data Center are my files located at?

In DreamHost Status (www.dreamhoststatus.com) all of the maintenance, downtime and problems now seem to routinely be listed by Data Center. How am I suppose to know what Data Center my website is stored on?

In the web panel I know how to find Account Status near the top right corner and get a long list of information about my account including Web Server, MySQL Server and Email Server. To the best of my knowledge I am only using the Web Server. I do not see any mention of a data center under Account Status or anywhere else I have tried looking.

Iceberg

You’re not the first to be confused about this, nor the last I suppose. Apparently the only way to find out is to ask them via support. The same is true for verifying SSH fingerprints.

You’d think that such data could be made available to us, especially considering the less and less informative dreamhoststatus site is increasingly only specifying which datacentres are affected…

I used to post a comment on dreamhoststatus about this stupidity every time they made post mentioning a data center. One thing we have learned over the years tho is dreamhost doesn’t really like to listen to it’s customers, they do what they do and expect us to understand that they are always right, and that if we don’t understand something they said, it’s our fault.

Ha! Well put. I sense the dream is fading with you as well :slight_smile:

I think dreamhost does one thing really really well and that’s shared hosting. But as a marketing gimmick it’s billed as being pretty much unlimited, what they fail to mention in marketing hype is that there is one or two very important limits that can make you spend more money.

In general, I’m still on the same wall I always have been, willing to to defend dreamhost in some areas, but also highly critical of dreamhost in others.

In general, my statement above comes from the fact that dreamhost could really stand to do a better job of listening to their customers and responding to complaints. They also need to fix the re-curing problems so that they the don’t re-occur. Why are there always posts in this forum about users waiting for days for account approval? They finally more-or-less fixed the password issue but not because we told them for years… , There seems to be an ongoing problem when a VPS needs to be moved to new hardware that goes on for 4-5 days every time it happens which is apparently often–I don’t know the answer there, but I know there has to be a better way. Why do some people seem to get ignored by technical support for days, but others seem to get there questions or problems addressed?

So in general, I’m still both a supporter and a critic, and the two things I’m mostly critical of are lack of two way communication and failure to address repetitive re-curing problems to that that don’t re-occur.

Truthfully, I think dreamhost really needs a full time person that’s dedicated to this forum and the wiki ( “community manager” is the industry buzzword that’s 5+ years old now). That’s just a start, if you go surf around and look at some of the corporate forums around the internet, you won’t find many that are not leveraging the forum as a tool to learn from their customers, not only do you see an active community manager, but you also see activity and participation from many areas of the company as well as the active participation of the customers. (anyone who wants specific examples can email me, I won’t publically endorse, but will be happy to demonstrate.)

(I also want to be clear that in the above paragraph I’m not being critical of andrewf’s job here in the forum… the problems is not his, the problem is he has a full time demanding job in other parts of the company where his skillset is needed full-time, PLUS he has the gig of running this forum in whatever time is left over or that he can find. To be completely transparent with that statement, that is MY observation and opinion.)

Without comment on the rest, that’s an entirely true statement. I’m a member of the development team at DreamHost; checking up on and maintaining this forum is a side project which I enjoy, but it isn’t my job, so I only have so much time to devote to it.

Wow! As the person who asked the original question I was not expecting the replies I received.

With regards to my original question, I do not see any value in asking a DreamHost staff member via support, as bobocat suggested, to manually look up what data center my files are located at. That would require a lot of manpower if everyone were to ask DreamHost support the same question. In the past DreamHost has moved my files from one server or cluster to another server or cluster so I fully expect that at any time they might move my files from one data center to another data center. I presume they moved my files to balance the workload between their machines or to move my account away from an area where they were experiencing problems to a more stable environment.

If DreamHost is unwilling or unable to provide us with more useful information on our web panels and their www.dreamhoststatus.com website by letting us know which problems or maintenance issues apply to each of us then we cannot cooperate with their repair technicians and system administrators. I am very willing to delay by a few hours an upload of many new files or a complete new version of my website if I were to know that I should wait for the DreamHost staff to finish some task they are doing. I only have a hobby website so I have no sense of urgency that the upload must happen at precisely this moment. But if I check the dreamhoststatus website and I have no idea if any of the maintenance tasks or problems listed there have any relevance to my website then I am just going to go ahead and upload the new files of my website and hope that I do not mess everything up for DreamHost’s technicians and my website through bad timing.

With regards to the other issues raised in the replies to my original post I will make a few observations:

When I first joined DreamHost as a customer there were a number of customers with Grizzled Veteran status in the discussion forum that answered most of the customers and prospective customers questions. Now there are new volunteers such as LakeRat and bobocat with Guru status who are answering the questions. I think DreamHost’s management should consider whether they are burning out their best volunteers and how best to support them.

When I first joined DreamHost and started reading this discussion forum I could only answer a few of the questions being asked and someone else always beat me to it with a better answer. Today after four years one would naturally think I should be able to answer far more questions but the truth is I very rarely see any question I can answer now. [I am still using hand coded HTML, CSS and some picture files to create my websites on a Macintosh computer and then uploading the files to my DreamHost account. I keep a copy of my website on my computer and occasionally burn a backup copy to CD.]

The full time paid position of “community manager” of a discussion forum and wiki that LakeRat suggests sounds like a great job but it may require more than a single person. The examples of companies with customer discussion forums that I can think of always required at least a few staff members to participate in the forums, and more importantly, to follow up with their company staff to resolve the issues that were raised.

I appreciate the participation of andrewf but it has always amazed and disappointed me that I rarely see anyone else participate in the discussion forums who identify themselves as DreamHost employees or management. I am far more likely to encounter a representative of another company that may be a friend (e.g. damoncloudflare, CloudFlare Community Evangelist) or foe of DreamHost than I am to encounter a staff member of DreamHost in the DreamHost Discussion Forum.

Other than the answer to my original question the rest of this discussion probably should have taken place in the Offtopic Discussion section of the DreamHost discussion forum where some similar discussions have taken place over the years.

Iceberg
www.minus40.info

Wow! As the person who asked the original question I was not expecting the replies I received.

With regards to my original question, I do not see any value in asking a DreamHost staff member via support, as bobocat suggested, to manually look up what data center my files are located at. That would require a lot of manpower if everyone were to ask DreamHost support the same question. In the past DreamHost has moved my files from one server or cluster to another server or cluster so I fully expect that at any time they might move my files from one data center to another data center. I presume they moved my files to balance the workload between their machines or to move my account away from an area where they were experiencing problems to a more stable environment.

If DreamHost is unwilling or unable to provide us with more useful information on our web panels and their www.dreamhoststatus.com website by letting us know which problems or maintenance issues apply to each of us then we cannot cooperate with their repair technicians and system administrators. I am very willing to delay by a few hours an upload of many new files or a complete new version of my website if I were to know that I should wait for the DreamHost staff to finish some task they are doing. I only have a hobby website so I have no sense of urgency that the upload must happen at precisely this moment. But if I check the dreamhoststatus website and I have no idea if any of the maintenance tasks or problems listed there have any relevance to my website then I am just going to go ahead and upload the new files of my website and hope that I do not mess everything up for DreamHost’s technicians and my website through bad timing.

With regards to the other issues raised in the replies to my original post I will make a few observations:

When I first joined DreamHost as a customer there were a number of customers with Grizzled Veteran status in the discussion forum that answered most of the customers and prospective customers questions. Now there are new volunteers such as LakeRat and bobocat with Guru status who are answering the questions. I think DreamHost’s management should consider whether they are burning out their best volunteers and how best to support them.

When I first joined DreamHost and started reading this discussion forum I could only answer a few of the questions being asked and someone else always beat me to it with a better answer. Today after four years one would naturally think I should be able to answer far more questions but the truth is I very rarely see any question I can answer now. [I am still using hand coded HTML, CSS and some picture files to create my websites on a Macintosh computer and then uploading the files to my DreamHost account. I keep a copy of my website on my computer and occasionally burn a backup copy to CD.]

The full time paid position of “community manager” of a discussion forum and wiki that LakeRat suggests sounds like a great job but it may require more than a single person. The examples of companies with customer discussion forums that I can think of always required at least a few staff members to participate in the forums, and more importantly, to follow up with their company staff to resolve the issues that were raised.

I appreciate the participation of andrewf but it has always amazed and disappointed me that I rarely see anyone else participate in the discussion forums who identify themselves as DreamHost employees or management. I am far more likely to encounter a representative of another company that may be a friend (e.g. damoncloudflare, CloudFlare Community Evangelist) or foe of DreamHost than I am to encounter a staff member of DreamHost in the DreamHost Discussion Forum.

Other than the answer to my original question the rest of this discussion probably should have taken place in the Offtopic Discussion section of the DreamHost discussion forum where some similar discussions have taken place over the years.

Iceberg
minus40

funny, lately I’m reading some negative DH feedbacks which surprise me a lot. I’ve had a perfect service till now, specially support. anyhow, as of October 19 You can now view your service data center locations in the DreamHost Web Panel under Status->Data Centers. http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2012/10/19/core-router-software-upgrade-us-west-data-center-los-angeles-ca-sunday-october-21st-8pm-pdt-4-hours/

Also we’re doing our very best to increase presence and support in the various forums folks use to get support on DreamHost and products you may be using with us! While we’re by no means perfect, we have a goal to give you guys what you need :slight_smile:

Hello,

I remember that there was a page in Dreamhost account to know where are hosted your sites and databases, but I cannot find it now. Any idea ?

Thank you.

To see what datacenter your sites are hosted in, you can log into the panel and on the left hand side select support > datacenters and it will bring you here: https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=support.dc&

Thanks!
Matt C

Thank you ! Crazy that I didn’t see :slight_smile: