.well-known acme-challenge directory can't be removed and doesn't allow for git clone

I’m trying to clone a repo into my Dreamhost account. Unfortunately, I can’t because the base web directory, mydomain.com/, has a default “.well-known” folder that can’t be removed. Git doesn’t allow you to clone into a directory that isn’t clean.

Looking at this, the folder should / kinda should be there? .well-known folder now in account base directory But does it need to be after the install? Any way of getting around this other than creating a new base directory and rerouting the web traffic?

The .well-known directory is used every month to update Let’s Encrypt certificates, but it is frustrating that DH sets the owner to root, so it can’t be deleted. The simplest work-around might be to move the site directory and clone into a fresh one. I.e.:

mv example.com oldexample.com
git clone ... example.com

To delete oldexample.com, you’d need to contact support, since only they can delete the root-owned .well-known.

Hm, well that’s a good idea. Actually, considering that, I’ll just move .well-known out, pull, .gitignore it. then move it back in. Here goes. Did the trick!

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.