Website down

Ok, so I just purchased up my website on sunday and in the many e-mails I recieved after that one of them said that it would take 1-3 days for my site to work… but it still hasn’t. I’m not sure why this is happening, this is the first site I’ve ever opened so everything is really new to me. I’m guessing it has something to do with my FTP though. When I clicked on the FTP icon in my profile a page poped up… loaded for a moment then said this:

An error has occured
Unable to connect to FTP server crash-into-me.net on port 21.

Are you sure this is the address of the FTP server? This is often different from that of the HTTP (web) server. Please contact your ISP helpdesk or system administrator for help.

What does this mean? Is this the problem? How do I fix it? How do I get in contact with my administrator?

I’d really apresheate any help… :frowning:

From looking at the whois information for crash-into-me.net, it appears that the domain is set to be using DreamHost’s nameservers, and appears that it has been set up long enough to be available over the web (for DNS to have been updated).

That said, the host (crash-into-me.net) does not respond to ping, and the message from your FTP client confirms, that the host is not reachable.

This makes me think that you might have registered the domain, but neglected to establish hosting for it. You can confirm whether or not hosting is, in fact, establish, by browsing to the Control Panel -> Domains -> Manage Domains page and checking to see if crash-into-me.net is listed as a “fully hosted” domain.

If you see that it is listed as “fully hosted” on that page, then there is a problem tat will likely require DreamHost tech support’s assistance, and you should generate a support request asking them to investigate.

On the other hand, should you not see it listed there, then that would explain why you cannot see it on the web, and you should simply “Add a Domain/subdomain” (by clicking the link provided on that page) and add crash-into-me.net as a “fully hosted domain”.

Once you have done this, the site should soon be reachable via your web browser and your ftp client (and should respond to pings, etc.)

[quote]"An error has occured
Unable to connect to FTP server crash-into-me.net on port 21.

Are you sure this is the address of the FTP server? This is often different from that of the HTTP (web) server. Please contact your ISP helpdesk or system administrator for help."

What does this mean? Is this the problem? How do I fix it? How do I get in contact with my administrator?[/quote]
The first part of that is the relevant information, the rest is just your ftp client’s attempt at a “human friendly” error message - the point is that the ftp client could not reach the server at crash-into-me.net (and I have confirmed that the host is, in fact, not reachable).

Yes, that is the problem, and you “fix it” by going through the process I described above (which will entail you either contacting support, or adding the domain if it not currently listed as fully hosted).

YOU are your own “administrator” (so you should complete the “checks” I suggested), and you can consider DreamHost Technical Support as the equivalent of “your ISP’s helpdesk” in the context of your ftp client’s message. :wink:

–rlparker

Considering that there’s no IP address for www.crash-into-me.net, I’d bet at least a nickel that hosting wasn’t set up. Proceed with creating a Fully Hosted Domain.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Domains_Control_Panel

-Scott

[quote]This makes me think that you might have registered the domain, but neglected to establish hosting for it. You can confirm whether or not hosting is, in fact, establish, by browsing to the Control Panel -> Domains -> Manage Domains page and checking to see if crash-into-me.net is listed as a “fully hosted” domain.

If you see that it is listed as “fully hosted” on that page, then there is a problem tat will likely require DreamHost tech support’s assistance, and you should generate a support request asking them to investigate.[/quote]

^ I checked, and it says that I’m fully hosted. How do I generate a support request?

[quote]Considering that there’s no IP address for www.crash-into-me.net, I’d bet at least a nickel that hosting wasn’t set up. Proceed with creating a Fully Hosted Domain.

^ I checked the link out but… what exactly am I suppose to click? I clicked the fully hosted domain link but then I got confused. Am I suppose to download something? I feel so internet challenged.

Thanks for your help so far!

Click the following link:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=support.msg&

–rlparker