Website down - database error

Anyone else got issues with their website again? I use Wordpress and again I have a database connection error - anyone know what’s going on.

This is really killing our business and we are not impressed with Dreamhost. In 2 months we seem to lose the site weekly!

Can someone from DH please look into this urgently because without the site we have no business.
[hr]
Thanks DH - due to this problem we have just lost important business. Thanks for costing us money!

Hi Carl,

I sincerely apologize for the downtime.
It looks like there was a connectivity issue with the server your on, which has now been resolved.
I see your site loading now and you shouldn’t be experiencing anymore downtime.
Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Hi Justin - yes I see it up now - thanks for your help.

Let’s just hope I can get the lost business back as easily :wink:
[hr]
It’s back but still running veeeerrrryyyy slowly. Any ideas why?

It sounds like a server issue. Open a support ticket and DH will help you out.

Sorry for the delay in response! I apologize for the inconvenient downtime/slowness you experienced. We’ve been investigating your issue throughout the day, and someone from our support team just emailed you back. Please read it over & consider our suggestion, and reply back there directly. If you need anything else, please don’t hesitate to let us know! Thanks so much for your patience.

I also experience the same problem I get the message: database connection error with all my sites based on Wordpress.

Strangely all sites which do not have a mySql database works fine.

Can anyone from DH fix this error because my business rely mostly on this site.

All of my wordpress sites are also down - can’t connect MYSQL!
[hr]

They are now back up - 30 minute downtime!

:frowning:

I get this constantly. I’ve given up on DH actually coming up with a solution.

My own solution is to cache every page and change the settings on the caching software to NEVER delete the cache. If I update a page I manually delete the cache for that page then re-cache it.

This solution means (I believe) that when someone goes to the site they only access the cached paged and never hit the database. Any page not cached just runs like a dog, or crashes. Clearly there are DB issues but no one seems to be able to resolve it.

Are you all on the same MySQL Server ?

I’m on valdovino.flagtail.dreamhost.com

i have been having issues like these since january. someone in these forums suggested i ask to be moved to a new apache instance. this solved the problem for two of my sites. now i’m asking dreamhost to move ALL of my other sites to new apache instances. still waiting for a response. i’m losing patience with DH.

*edited to add that i ended up just disabling my entire website except for a front page with contact info because imo i’m going to lose site visitors anyway when they have to wait more than 30 seconds for the wordpress part of my site to load. lame.

Hey Tara!

I’m really sorry you’re still having issues! I wasn’t aware, but I am now, so I’m going to work with my support lead to get you all fixed up. I have your tickets, and we’ll work on them and let you know as soon as we have info for you. Thanks so much for your patience, I really appreciate it!

thanks, i appreciate it.

I’m on a server called ‘timple’
[hr]

Why does it take threads on here to get anyone to look at these issues properly and for action to be taken. My site still runs like a dog when I try to connect to Wordpress so am having to cache every page.

I’ve done everything recommended - I have almost no plugins, have minimised all my image sizes (even though we are a travel operator and our pictures and quality help sell our trips!) and still everything runs slowly.

Can you look at my Apache set up and see if this is why my Wordpress runs so badly?

Thanks.

Hey Carl,

Sorry to hear you’re still having trouble as well! We took a look at your Apache, and it looks good. Ran a traceroute for your site, and that looks good as well – Your site is loading really fast for us! I did notice you never replied to Trey’s last support email a couple weeks ago, though. If you could reply to that email with his requests, we can try to recreate any errors you’re seeing, which would help us troubleshoot much better. Thanks!

I do wonder whether DH support really reads what we post. As I keep saying - “I have cached the pages so they do load fast. This is because it is not going through Wordpress / PHP / SQL whatever and hitting the servers. It’s when we hit the server that we have problems.”

For example - yesterday the pages were loading in a second as a general visitor. They were seeing the cached HTML page. When I tried to go on to the WP console it took over a minute to get to the WP logon screen. Then about 30 secs to get to the console page. Then another minute to load a page once I’m logged on. After changing text it took about a minute to save the page. For this same page, once I cache it and log off, it takes less than a second to load.

Today though ALL pages are running very very slow even though they are cached. In fact it’s crashed twice in the past 10 minutes. If someone could look NOW at what is happening you may see problems. If you check in a day or 2 time then you will come back with your normal answer of “well, it looks OK to us”. Yep - doesn’t help me really. So can you look at logs on the server for what is happening at this current moment in time.
[hr]
The below is an example of our site crashing at the moment. This is a page that should be cached yet it is still bombing. I have one 301 redirect set up on the site and no 310 re-directs (at least none that I have set up knowingly). Any ideas?

This webpage has a redirect loop
The webpage at http://www.alternativeafricanadventures.co.uk/safari-holidays/desert-coast-wildlife-aaa039/ has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
Learn more about this problem.
Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects.
[hr]
Now a lot of the pages are having these 310 errors. My partner using Firefox browser can’t get in either.

Anybody at DH bothered that your customer’s keep getting these problems?

Right - seems to be a redirect of parent pages for sub pages.

All of my sites now have this error (since most of them have includes to a file with database settings and connection info) so basically, all of my sites aren’t working :frowning: I put a ticket in though. Hopefully I get a faster response than my last few ones which took over 24 hours and ended up getting a 2nd email with an apology for being over 24 hours :frowning:

EDIT: LOL, JUST as I wrote this, my sites came back up but I’m going to keep my ticket up so I can get some answers about it and plus I also wrote about another issue I’ve been having but glad they are back up – thanks for the fast fix.

Okay, posting again. I was told by Dreamhost this was because they were rebooting my SQL server – that was yesterday but it’s happened today too. Sent in a ticket. So, will see. Obv, it can’t be that if it happened today and they rebooted yesterday, right? Just really sucks since most of my sites rely on databases A LOT.