Website counters

How do you get a website counter? I thought it would be cool to see how many people visit our website.
I also model for a living, and the first person who gives the right answer (and describes how to do it) will get a link to my website.
Thanks.
-J

There’s no need to have a counter on your site. You already have a powerful, free-of-charge statistics package available to you. Point your browser to http://yourdomain.com/stats/ and you will see a comprehensive breakdown of all sorts of information about who is visiting your site.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

You will of course need your main DH login name and password… if you haven’t already changed the login name and password for the Stats on your account… which I’m gathering you have not.

Good luck!

I don’t understand. I went to yourdomain.com . Is it free, or do you have to pay for it?

-J

No…

Not “yourdomain.com”, your domain.

For instance, if your domain is “www.Iliketomodel.com” you would go to

http://ILikeToModel.com/stats/

Then enter your login name and pasword.

Cheers,

Jem

I’m sorry. I should have been more specific. The statistics package is available at your own website, in the stats folder. So if your website is “http://example.com/”, then the stats are at “http://example.com/stats/”.

You will need your DreamHost username and password to access the stats, but (as has already been mentioned), you can create additional users in the control panel if you wish.

Simon Jessey

yourdomain.com was meant to be substituted with your domain name.

so if your domain name is hotmodelsareus.com then you’d put that in there. etc…

Well done, Jem. You beat me to that one. That’s what happens when you’re a long-winded Englishman like me :slight_smile:

Simon Jessey

First “Iliketomodel.com” and now “hotmodelsareus.com” LOL. I can’t believe I used boring old example.com. Next time, it’ll be bustyblondesburstingfrombikinis.com, or something like that.

Simon Jessey

When it asks for my username and password, the password is invalid. Is it different from my login information to DH?

British eh?

[quote]When it asks for my username and password, the password is invalid. Is it different from my login information to DH?

British eh?[/quote]
If you are having trouble with it, go to this page of the control panel and create a new user and password combination.

Yes, I’m British. I live in the US now, however.

Simon Jessey

If you’ve seen the “yourwebsite.com” example given enough times, you don’t even think about it anymore, but I can remember the day when that threw me for a loop too.

Reminds me of that gag from the the movie Stripes as they are swearing in…“Repeat after me… 'I, State your name, swear to protect and defend…”

And of course they all repeat the “state your name” part much to the annoyance of the drill instructor :slight_smile:

Okay Simon…

Next time I’ll use “limey-expats-r-us.com” in your honor :wink:

Ironically, you can find me listed at http://www.british-expats.com/

Simon Jessey

Go to where to change the password? I’m sorry, I’m sure this is all second nature to you guys, but I need some hand-holding here.
Also, my It guy is about to sign on and ask about changing a dns location so that are email goes directly to our microsoft exchange server, if you know anything about that, I promise to adequately stroke your ego in exchange for some help.

This is annoying. I went to where you directed me, changed the password, and then tried to login to stats, and IT WON’T LET ME! I’ll be here banging my head against the table.

Too funny…

Is Surrey near Leeds? I had some friends I met that were part of the BUNAC program. We worked together in Maine for a summer, and when I traveled to the UK got to visit them there. One lived in Leeds (outside of Preston?), one in Wales, another in Dover, and one more who was at King’s college and had a flat in London.

But god… that was ten years ago. Wonder how they’re doing.

What part of the US are you in?

wxoco,

Good luck with getting the MX records changed so that they point to your Exchange server. I’m trying to do the same thing (essentially) and am getting no where. I’ve got it mostly figured out, but just need some final confirmation before I throw the switch on the domain transfer.

See my post further down to see what I’m trying to do…

Cheers,

Jem

Oh man, that’s exactly what we’re trying to do. It’s a nightmare, because dh does not have a phone number, and they are near impossible to get a hold of. It’s been 2 weeks, and we haven’t gotten anywhere.
btw, I’m at www.steelbluehorizon.com; under new talent.

-j

Quote:

“This is annoying. I went to where you directed me, changed the password, and then tried to login to stats, and IT WON’T LET ME! I’ll be here banging my head against the table.”

You will probably have to wait 10-15 minutes before the pasword “takes”… annoying, but that is the way DreamHost works. I think they have the various administrative tasks set on a cron-schedule, so your passwords won’t be updated until that cron-task is run… every 10-15 minutes or so.

Check again in 20 minutes or so, and you should be able to get in.

Cheers,

Jem