Webmail2

Whatever happened to the rollout of webmail2?

I can’t access it anymore and squirrelmail’s shortcomings are starting to get on my nerves. I’d like to make the clean cut from the Hotmails and Yahoos of the world, but I need a good web interface to make it happen.

Oh yes please. My customers are losing email that they write in squirrel mail, which is (understandably) pissing them off.

yep bump yep

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

I might be alone here but when Ihave to use webmail I find Squirrelmail fine.

So do my users.

Tancred

With the PAID model (not in the free days), everyone.net is really good: faster, more reliable and ad-free. Do you guys (at DreamHost) think it’s possible to negotiate a better deal on behalf of ALL your clients (while getting a little commissions)? :wink:

nameslave.com: Buy and sell pre-owned domain names commission-free
nameslave.ca: Knows a thing or two about dot-ca
Moderator@DNForum.com/HostHideout.com

It’s possible to install your own version of squirrelmail in your own webspace. That way you can have whatever extensions you want and can run with the latest version.

Or you can even install another web-based mail client such as Horde/IMP. (not an easy feat to accomplish, but it is doable.)

–Brian

Thanks to all who have responded, I appreciate hearing all the opinions out there.

BUT…

Nobody ever responded whether they know anything about the webmail2 rollout. I assume the beta is complete since it’s no longer up… was the beta a success or has the decision been made not to continue?

Just wondering.

I do like the idea of doing my own install and will check that out. I know this runs against the sentiment of some in the tech community, but I figure why reinvent the wheel when there’s a perfectly good one already.

My primary frustration with Squirrelmail has been with the address book (or lack thereof) functions. No importing, no adding addresses from emails, no alias lists, etc.

Everything else I can deal with… it’s actually a decent program and interface, it’s just the minimal install makes it not an entirely usable end solution.

[quote]My primary frustration with Squirrelmail has been with the address book (or lack thereof) functions.

[/quote]

For what it’s worth, webmail2 was even more deficient in that particular regard.

We did (do?) have the addressbook import plugin enabled, but it didn’t ever work properly - once we upgrade, though, it may work better. You could consider installing a newer Squirrelmail locally. I think an upgrade is definitely in order at this point - we’ve been planning to do one for a little while now. I’ll try to make sure it gets done before early next week.

Despite the complaints we’ve had, I think that Squirrelmail is better than any other webmail system I’ve seen (from a user perspective, anyway). IMHO, webmail in general is annoying - I’ve never seen a system that really works that well for long-term use.

For people not totally tied into a web interface, I’d highly suggest using Pine (or mutt, if you’re a geek) instead of webmail wherever possible.

Hi Brian,

Does this mean you got it working? I know less than you do about the *nix environment (I run Win2k-based web servers), but want to get Horde/IMP working just as much for an exercise as to actually use :slight_smile:

Yes… I actually have it working (if you go to http://portal.sowired.info you can see it).

It’s not as difficult to install Horde/IMP as you’ve probably heard…

the hardest part is compiling PHP. You need to have a current version of PHP with a number of modules installed that are not part of the standard dreamhost installation.

Once you gather everything together and compile PHP, the rest is downhill.

Download horde and whatever modules you want (imp, kronolith, etc.). There isn’t much documentation but there are scripts to create the database tables and the config files are pretty well documented…

let me know if I can help.

–Brian

It’d definitely the “compiling php” part I’m having trouble with :slight_smile: I’m not much of a linux person although I can follow instructions well enough - I just can’t find any instructions that don’t assume you’re installing apache and php together, as a superuser, instead of through a shell account with a hosting provider.

If you know of any docs more appropriate to our situation, I’d appreciate it.

I don’t know that there is any really good documentation for compiling and installing PHP… but I can tell you how I did it…

basically you need to install PHP as a CGI. so look for instructions on how to do that. the key I think is to create a local set of the unix standard directories (bin, etc, man, lib, et. al) in your home directory so that you can write everything there (and making sure you include that in your unix path)

the other hard part is figuring out what modules of php you need installed to run horde. look at the INSTALL files in each of the horde modules that you want to use, and they will tell you what PHP modules you need.

Then you just have to download php and all of the required modules, compile all of the modules and then make and compile PHP.

Compiling things with *nix is pretty easy because everything you need comes with a set of makefiles so basically you follow the same steps for everything. first you do a ./configure with all of the options you want, then you do a make and then you do a make install

Let me know if you need more help, I can try to write down what I did step by step and hopefully you will be able to get it to work.

I don’t know that I did it in the best way, but I know that what I did work. Maybe if I post the steps here, someone who is more knowledgeable than I am can take a look at it and let me know if there is a better way to do it.

–Brian

One more thing that you need to know about all of this, is that it takes a lot of disk space.

I’m using 400MB of disk space to hold my own copy of PHP (and all of the various add on modules) and the Horde Application Framework with all of the various Horde modules (although you probably don’t need all of the modules, you will most likely only use 4 or 5 of them)

So depending on which hosting plan you are on and what other things you have on your website, you may need to upgrade your plan or buy additional space.

Also, you need to be aware that Horde (and it’s various modules) really need to have a database to write all their preference, store user data, etc. This will definitely add to the number of conueries you are using and may be a concern of yours (depending on the plan you are on).

–Brian