Webmail status

Does anyone know the status of this new webmail?
Is it in it’s final state?

Yes - it is a product that has been on the market for years (since 1998!).

One could argue that the only “final” state is death :slight_smile: What do you mean by ‘final state’ in this case? You can always assume that thing will change based on feedback from customers.

No you can not assume that. Haven’t you gotten enough feedback on atmail? I’m not going to bother posting links to the threads about the ATmail blunder…

Not to mention that users have been complaining about overall dreamhost email for years…

Squirrel mail stil claims that it’s going away and that ATmail is THE answer.

It’s kinda like the VPS blunder… Except in that case if you knew the correct person apparently you could keep your admin users. That wasn’t offered universally tho.

@LakeRat:

+1 to all of this, as it was my thought as well.

Really I could have taken that farther.

Since I’ve been around dreamhost has always been a company that makes an effort NOT to adjust anything to user demand, but instead to stay versions behind on everything and not give a darn if someone cancels.

I don’t think you have access to the positive feedback we have received from customers, do you? You and few others have given your thoughts and opinions on this forum but I wouldn’t consider the sentiment expressed here the majority.

What companies stays in business almost 20 years without adapting to customers and listening to feedback? :slight_smile:

Now, let’s keep this conversation in topic: what’s the question about webmail?

Thanks and I have a specific and in-topic question, which is: does Dreamhost officially agree with what it said in its blog on May 23rd 2008 under the rubric “Company Annoucements”?

https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/2008/05/23/what-web-hosting-is-for/

I am not aware of any plans to stop providing email services.

Perhaps the “plan” is multiple, lengthy outages of email? If so, that plan has worked for my accounts, I’ll be moving the email out shortly.

http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2016/06/01/sub-4-issues-causing-intermittent-emailwebmail-function/

FTFY

ORLY?

Did DH have to remove RC? Running out of disk space?

They didn’t have to. They decided to.

It’s really easy to understand: email is a serious pain in the ass the support, as evidenced by that ancient blog post. Offering multiple webmail solutions just adds more issues. They decided on Atmail, if you don’t like it, install your own RC. Then you’ll get to experience why managing mail sucks so much and why it’s silly that email is a component that is included with web hosting, especially at the “unlimited” tier.

I’m glad you said what I should have… I got too angry tho and had to walk away from it.

Exactly. Except RC actually worked correctly, where as ATmail does not.

I’ve long said that dreamhost should offer two versions of email… 1) the current “free unlimited everything but horrible because it attracts spammers who ruin it for everyone else version” and 2) premium business class version that costs extra.

It would be hard to get rid of #1 at this point because many use it and you can’t take things away for existing accounts (oh wait dreamhost can… remember Files Forever that didn’t make it to forever?). At the time unlimited email came to be that was the standard industry offering. That’s the history, but there’s probably at least a few competitorgator still offering unlimited email with shared hosting, so market pressure won’t allow. The solution seems to be choices…email on shared email servers (like now), or Business Class email at an industry compatible price.

I am rather confused with all this. And frankly getting annoyed.

DH allows Josh Jones to write that blog … and for what purpose? To make those of us who still do business with email feel inadequate and out-dated.

In fact email is more than just a communications tool for many companies and organizations. Email is very important to our organization and having our own domain name associated with our email addresses is also very important.

We have donors, members, and associates who take our email addresses very very seriously. So much so that certain levels of donors have email addresses with our organization’s domain name behind it. We have donors who will ignore and send to spam any address not in their contact list EXCEPT those email address from our organization.

Also, controlling our email system is very important. Both from a business standpoint and a fiduciary obligation to the funds we manage and administer! Our officers have office specific email addresses; President@<our_organization>, VP@<our_organization>, Treasurer@<our_organization>, etc. The instant someone leaves office, it is absolutely critical within minutes. the password is changed and the new officer takes control of that email address … instant flow of business without interruption. If it is necessary to let someone go, we change the password as they are being notified so that we don’t risk retaliatory reactions.

If someone forgets their password, or dies and we need to get into their email now … I simply change the password and we’re in. No interruption to business.

I can’t do any of that with GMail. And being a charity with an all volunteer staff of about 400, we can’t administer our own mail server.

If DH stops providing email service, or doesn’t take it serious enough it becomes unreliable, we will have no option but to take our website elsewhere even though Dream Host is graciously sponsoring our site under their 501c3 program.

Hell, I’m pissed that ATMail doesn’t have Nick Names for those who opt for webmail access (and there are those that do!). If you travel the world, you may not have cell access, or your laptop with you … but you can usually find a PC with at least dial-up internet service and a web-browser.

I’m sitting here, just annoyed as hell at Josh Jones’ blog post in general … I’m so sick of people preaching their known environment is the only environment that needs be supported. I’ve been in this business 35 years. Probably longer than Mr. Jones has even been alive, and I have seen a plethora of scenarios that would make doing business almost impossible if we were limited only to his vision/experiences.

Grumble/Spit/Cuss

You do realize that the blog post is 8 years old?

Also, in case you don’t know, Josh Jones is one of the Dreamhost founders that in 2008 was still actively involved in day to day operations. Frankly my opinion of that blog post is he wanted to gauge reaction back then.

I do miss Josh Jones, I wish he was still the voice of dreamhost.

As a point of interest, does each of your staff have an email address on your domain?

I suggest it is a reasonable hypothesis (whether it applies in your case or not) that a shared webhosting account ought to be able to support 400 email addresses.

If there are to be limits (and obviously there should be), they should be in terms of how heavily the account is used. For example, a limit on how many emails can be sent per hour, over the whole account, would be reasonable imo.

Just like with shared webhosting itself. There is no limit on the number of domains that can be hosted in an account; limits start kicking in when any of the domains are used too intensively.

Well, there there could be a stupendous difference, for an organization such as yours (assuming you have 400 email addresses), between per-user pricing and per-account pricing.

Let us imagine that Dreamhost might feel able to offer a premium email service for $20 per month per webhosting account. I’ve just invented that number on the spot, but since no one else has suggested a number, we’ve got to start somewhere. $20 is double what they charge for shared webhosting. Surely it would be doable!

Then just compare:

Dreamhost premium email at $20 per month for a shared webhosting account
Google apps at about $1650 per month for an organization with 400 email addresses.

I think it is hard to become the final state. Everything can be change from time to time :smiley:

The problem is, as evidenced by this post and every other post, is that DH users seem to think email should be free or offered at ridiculously high levels when included in $9/month hosting. There is a reason why every email-only services BEGINS at $2/box. Offering good email is difficult and expensive.

You can do all of that with Google Apps for business. It has a control panel that is far more capable than anything DH offers. In fact, they even offer free services for non-profits https://www.google.com/nonprofits/products/

Additionally, last I checked, DH had an SMTP limit per account of 100 emails per hour. With 400 email boxes, I would imagine you can hit that limit very easily.

Again, this is fantasy land pricing. There is no such thing as unlimited email hosting offered by any email providers that doesn’t involve you setting up a dedicated email server which will run you a few hundred dollars per month.

DH offers a reasonably good email system, considering what you pay for.

• If email is mission-critical to your company, it should be a very easy thing for you to pay for, just like you do a telephone.

• If your business has 400 employees and you don’t have an IT budget, I don’t want to say you’re doing something wrong, but you’re doing something wrong.

• If you’re a non-profit with 400 volunteers, there are solutions out there that are free or very affordable - and non-profits still operate with budgets. I find it hard to believe that a non-profit with 400 volunteers that need access to email can’t carve out some money in their budget.