Webdav permissions

Can I make a webdav file (or directory) that is write protected but readable by anyone? If so, how?

Thanks, Rick

breathing since 1959

I thought WebDAV directories were write proteced (with password) in the first place. Hmm … how do you access (I mean to edit) them anyway?

DreamRegistrar.com - Register your own domain with DreamHost for just $14.95 now

Dreamhost WebDav is set up through the Goodies:WebDav control panel. You can create a directory with password protection (you can add users and passwords in the control panel), or without protection, by not checking the box. Actually dhapache owns the directory. Files added to it (when protected) have -rw-r----- permissions. So ftp/ssh users can see but not alter the files.

My question remains: Are the only choices for DH WebDav rw protected or rw unprotected? Anyway to have read all but write protected files?

Rick

breathing since 1959

[quote]Dreamhost WebDav is set up through the Goodies:WebDav control panel. You can create a directory with password protection (you can add users and passwords in the control panel), or without protection, by not checking the box.

[/quote]

When you use DH’s CP to enable a WebDAV directory, the “User accounts that may publish to this area” ARE for write permissions. If you do NOT check the box “Also password-protect this dir?”, then this specific WebDAV directory will be viewable (readable) to the public.

DreamRegistrar.com - Register your own domain with DreamHost for just $14.95 now

Aha! Thanks, I was mistaken in thinking that the checkbox turned on and off the user account passwords below it.

Rick… breathing since 1959