WebCalendar one-click install

apps

#1

Hello, I just installed the current version of WebCalendar offered on dreamhost’s one-click install page (I think that’s ver. 1.2.7, although it’s not completely clear). Although the program has installed and does run, every time I try to change the system settings for this application, I get an error message: “Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded.”

Now, most of the advice I’ve found says that the solution is to change the php.ini file to increase the execution time limit. I haven’t done that yet, in part because I can’t believe the commands I’m using are so resource intensive as to require more than 30 seconds. (I’ve tried making changes repeatedly at different times of the day, so I don’t think the servers are overloaded either.)

Other advice I’ve found suggests the problem might be with access to the /tmp file where temporary files are supposed to be stored. I can’t seem to find this directory, and I wonder if I did something on the one-click install to put it in an location that is inaccessible to the program.

I would be grateful for any insightful replies, even if the answer is, “yes, you really do have to increase the execution time limit.”


#2

Try looking in the settings.php file and comment out the line that sets db_cachedir.


#3

Looking for the db_cachedir in the settings.php file was the hint I needed. Thanks, sXi.

I didn’t just want to comment out the line without understanding the consequences. After a little more research, here’s the solution that worked for me:

By way of background, the one-click installation of WebCalendar prompts users for the location of the tmp directory. By default, the value is “/tmp.” Not knowing any better, and seeing no obvious helpful hints in the wizard or the documentation, I left the default value as it was. Unfortunately, the wizard does not create such a directory, and no such directory existed under my web site’s root (www.example.org).

To fix the problem, I:

  1. used WebFTP to locate the settings.php file (it was under www.example.org/webcalendar/includes, which also was not intuitively obvious to me);
  2. opened the settings.php file using the source editor;
  3. found the line that sets db_cachedir (not difficult–it settings.php was a very short file);
  4. simply removed the virgule ("/") so that the line now reads “db_cachedir: tmp” (without the quotation marks); and
  5. saved the file.

Then I created a subdirectory named “tmp” in the webcalendar directory (i.e., www.example.org/webcalendar/tmp) and relaunched the program.

Problem solved. I suppose I could have just created a “tmp” subdirectory in the root, but then I wouldn’t have all of my webcalendar files together.