Webalizer install


#1

Hello,
I’ve followed the directions on the wiki:(http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Webalizer)

But for some reason, when I go to run it for the first time, I get this:

[holt]$ ./webalizer -c .conf
Webalizer V2.01-10 (Linux 2.4.32-grsec+f6b+gr217+nfs+a32+fuse23+++opt+c6+gr2b-v6.192) English
Using logfile STDIN (clf)
Creating output in current directory
Hostname for reports is 'holt’
History file not found…

My conf file looks like this: (I’ve changed username and domain name - and my webalizer is installed in /webz)


LogFile /home/username/logs/mydomain.com/http/access.log
OutputDir /home/username/mydomain.com/webz/
Incremental yes
IncrementalName webalizer.current
PageType htm*
PageType cgi
PageType php
HideURL *.gif
HideURL *.GIF
HideURL *.jpg
HideURL *.JPG
HideURL .ra
IgnoreURL /taskbar

Am I supposed to make an outfile for the data to write to?
Could anyone help with any suggestions? I’ve been searching around but unfortunately, I have not been able to find a solution.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

-a


#2

You know, I was banging my head against the wall with this same problem while trying to install webalizer. I never figured it out, I just figured it was an obvious problem that I was missing because I’m not too good at this type of stuff.

Then I just installed awstats instead, not to say that I still wouldn’t appreciate getting webalizer working too.

Anybody see what we’re missing?


#3

Does the installation fail at that point? I ask because that is a normal message to receive when running it the first time (first time = no history and no previous run data). I used webalilzer a little a while back and didn’t like it, so I probably can’t help too much. Perhaps a permissions issue? I’d suggest using a full file name for the config file (domain.conf for instance).

Check out Gordaen’s Knowledge, the blog, and the MR2 page.


#4

I think my problem was with my .conf file.
I had followed the instructions in the Wiki for creating one - but no luck.

Then I just took the sample .conf file that comes with the webalizer install and edited the paths to point to my logs and it worked fine after that.

I don’t know exactly which entry was wrong, but you may try just editing the sample .conf and see if that works for you.


#5

I had the same problem. After reviewing the sample.conf file that came with the program I realized that all the program lines had a # sign in the beginning rendering them useless. I removed the # and it worked just fine.

The line you got when you ran webalizer ‘Using logfile STDIN (clf)’ - is saying that it isn’t actually getting to your logfile. At least thats what I think its saying. It isn’t getting to your logfile probably because of the # sign in your .conf file, but on the chance that isn’t your problem I would make sure the path to your logfile is accurate. My path contains a .number after the http.