I may have figured out a workaround and must say I have not done this much on the command line perhaps ever (including a rather empowering first use of "wget").
I ended up compiling a new binary with an attempt to tell webalizer where the find the elusive libdb-4.4.so when using the latest version 2.21-02.
Here are the commands I used while in my home directory:
tar zxf webalizer-2.21-02-src.tgz
./configure --prefix=$HOME/webalizer --with-libdb-4.4.so=[result of running locate libdb-4.4.so in shell]
There was still an error about finding libdb-4.4.so with the report that geographic lookup would not be possible. Which is all right since this had not worked before either and was not a concern of mine. There was also a lot of warnings as a result of the "make" step that I could not quite decipher.
I navigated to the new /home/USER/webalizer/bin and ran:
./webalizer -c myexistingconf.conf
Reported "Warning! 3 month gap detected" since it had been since March, but otherwise a success. The only lingering issue was how the current log files only of course cover one day, so I may create some new conf files to recover from what logs are available (generally only the minimum 3 days for me)...if I care that much of course!
Anyway, hope this helps someone else coming later, and if anyone has ideas on compiling with the correct libdb location please share. I used the exact results from the "locate" command, but I wonder if I was one of more directory levels off, revealing my general unfamiliarity with the inner workings of unix.