experience.

Could not chdir to home directory /home/xxxxxx: Permission denied
-bash: /home/xxxxxx/.bash_profile: Permission denied

The above message is what i got when trying to ssh. Meanwhile, my site
is down due to permission denied reason. It worked fine 1 hour ago and
I did not do anything to my site.

Now everyone how is trying to access my web site get this error:

Forbidden
You don’t have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

My suspecious is admin messed up the permission, becuase now I can get
into other users’s directory… as well as root directory, this is bad!

This is happening right after I introduced my site to my friends and
tehy started coming… bad timing. very bad.

I am very disappointed with dreamhost becuase i reported the issue and 5 hours passed no one seems to care. I reporeted as high priority.

I used to be with hostpc.com, they responded really fast, within 20 minutes 99% of the time. I am thinking about cancelling here the go back to hostpc.com.

other user’s on that particular server? or other users you set up?

I dont know. The physical server is called scagnetti. Any other user has noticed this issue?

Becuase the permission has been messed up, when I connect to that server via ssh, I am placed into the root directory, where I can go into other users’ directories under /home/username/. This is pretty bad i think.

What is bad, being able to access / and /home? That’s normal.

As for accessing other users’ directories - it depends on the permissions set on them.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

what if i make dir, rm files, and mess stuff up in the /bin
/usr and /home directories?

not to mention those, i do not have permission to go into my own directory, that is very strange. and my website has been set to some permission that no one can get in.

15 hours so far, not a single fart from support folks, isn’t this bad? fanboys just stop your bs, lets put your site down for 20 hours and see what you feel.

Dreamhost has a LOT of customers and you’re not the only one. That means that while they do answer support things very quickly, sometimes they don’t. It could be that they’ve read your email and are looking into it and trying to fix it. Would you rather they spend time emailing you back first asking “Is it alright if we check this out?” or would you rather they fix it and email? They do almost always reply in 24 hours.

Many times, I’ve gotten an email in hour 20, saying they fixed it.

I’ve been with Dreamhost for over 7 years and while they have their problems, they are pretty on top of things most of the time. Be patient. Calm down. You’ll live.

Raven

www.torifest.com
www.6-58.com

How long does it take to respond “ok we are looking into your issue and ETA is xxxxxx”.

I see bad customer service here for sure. IT has been 21 hours now, I will see how long before you respond a word about my site downtime.

Usually, if they are experiencing a serious enough problem (and with all of the php DOS attacks of late, I’m sure it’s hectic there), then they might not take the time to do even that. They might not have the time. Believe it or not, that does take a minute or two. If the situation is serious enough, and yes, having access to root could be serious enough, they might not have even the minute to spare.

Are you sure you can do more than view the files? I can see other people’s files (always have been able to), though not very many. But trying to go into them always has given me a Permission Denied. Are you sure that’s not what you’re experiencing?

Raven

www.torifest.com
www.6-58.com

Being able to ‘see’ files does not mean you have access to rm them or anything. It’s fairly close to impossible that you had anything other than your normal access to files. Things in /bin have to be readable to everyone so they can be used by everyone, for instance.

It does sound like the permissions on your home directory got messed up somehow.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder