Web Panel far to slow

I’m new to DreamHost and I have a major problem with the speed of the web control panel; its slow to load the pages to the point of being unusable. I’ve waited a few days (a google search told me that it slows down occassionally) but it hasn’t improved. I can easily sit in front of it for half hour while attempting to complete a few basic tasks that take my other hosts minutes. Its just the pages in the control panel though, the rest of the dreamhost site seems fine and loads quick enough.
Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Is there something I’m not doing?

This happened to me a while back during the “Slowdown at the NFS corral”, but the panel has been fine for me lately. I wouldn’t hesitate to put in a support ticket. Well, I might hesitate a little if it was going to take 10 minutes to click through the panel to do so. :slight_smile:

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I might suggest confirming your java is up to date since a majority of the calls from the control panel are javascript.

-Lyle

What? Why would you suppose that the one has anything at all to do with the other?

“Java” is related to “javascript” in no way other than an unfortunate naming convention, and there is nothing on the DH panel that in any way utilizes “java”.

–rlparker

I would certainly hesitate if you’re going to recommend that they update their java. (grin).

(Just to let you know we’ve ALL been embarrassed by that concept - except maybe rlparker.)

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

Looking into the problem it seems that it is the transfer of the page to you via the network and not the generation of the panel page that is taking the majority of the time.

| avg(sql_time) | avg(perl_time) | avg(print_time) | count(*) |
±--------------±---------------±----------------±---------+
| 1.1484528 | 0.2643019 | 7.6713397 | 53 |

for example rlparker’s load time over the same time period of a couple days has been:

| avg(sql_time) | avg(perl_time) | avg(print_time) | count(*) |
±--------------±---------------±----------------±---------+
| 1.5258148 | 0.8488889 | 0.6022222 | 27 |

can you submit a traceroute via the support page from during a time period when you are having the problem? Obviously your combined load time of 10 seconds is too long to be truly usable.

Unfortunately there is not much we can do if it is the trans-pacific line that is the bottleneck. We should try to figure out where exactly the bottleneck is occurring though.

It does seem strange that my avg(sql_time)+avg(perl_time) is “close” to being twice his, but my avg(print_time) is almost insignificant compared to his. :open_mouth:

I’d be really interested to know what the culprit turns out to be.

–rlparker

[quote]What? Why would you suppose that the one has anything at all to do with the other?

“Java” is related to “javascript” in no way other than an unfortunate naming convention, and there is nothing on the DH panel that in any way utilizes “java”.

–rlparker[/quote]

Sorry I wasn’t so literal. How about update your browser, OS, etc. This was merely a suggestion, not a command. I don’t have the problem the person is seeing, so I would think it would be one of a few things. Either his PC, or w/e he’s using, is not up to snuff, personal firewall, network latency, etc… Was just trying to suggest options to help fix the problem, not question someone elses response.

So I thank you for being the clarification police, and correcting me.

-Lyle

Whoa there, friend! I apologize for phrasing my response the way that I did (which was meant to be “tongue in cheek”, but did come off a tad sarcastic). :frowning:

I do not apologize for my efforts toward sparing the original poster the needless aggravation of downloading and installing a new Java Run-time package in hopes of improving the performance of the panel’s javascript. Like you, he may not have known that the one has nothing to do with the other, and would only be frustrated if he took your suggestion.

As unpleasant as it may be to hear it, to “suggest confirming your java is up to date since a majority of the calls from the control panel are javascript” is not a relevant “option to help fix the problem” ; my post was meant to make that clear, not so much to “police” or “correct” you, as to be of service to the poster to whom you responded (which is the point of responding in the first place). :wink:

Again, I apologize if that was lost in my post; I suppose I could have responded directly to him, instead of to your post (which is probably what I should have done!) and I am sorry I hurt your feelings.

–rlparker