Web Mail TROUBLE: HELP!

I cannot send e-mail to an address at columbia.edu using SquirrelMail??? Please help.

This is the error message I receive everytime:

Reporting-MTA: dns; plunder.dreamhost.com
Arrival-Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 12:28:42 -0800 (PST)

Final-Recipient: rfcXXX; XXXX@columbia.edu
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host send-multi-vif.cc.columbia.edu[128.59.59.23]
said: 550 5.7.1 Access denied

HOWEVER, I am able to send to the same address using my outlook express with the smtp set up of mail.mydomain.com.

Does the error message mean that columbia.edu has blocked the web based routing IP from dreamhost. what’s going on here?

Can we fix this?

any help or comment regarding this issue is greatly appreciated.

It looks like they’re blocking mail from any machine / address at dreamhost.com. I am getting blocked before even getting a chance to send ‘RCPT TO’. I’ve contacted their postmaster / abuse people to see what’s going on here.

plunder% telnet send-multi-vif.cc.columbia.edu. smtp
Trying 128.59.59.23…
Connected to send-multi-vif.cc.columbia.edu.
Escape character is ‘^]’.
220 dewberry.cc.columbia.edu ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.8/CU/JPB ready at Sat, 8 Mar 2003 23:39:37 -0500 (EST)
EHLO plunder.dreamhost.com
250-dewberry.cc.columbia.edu Hello plunder.dreamhost.com [66.33.213.13], pleased to meet you
250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
MAIL FROM:xxx@xxx
550 5.7.1 Access denied
QUIT

yeah, the columbia user and i decided to run some other tests with the e-mail problem from dreamhost server to the columbia.edu server.

i tried sending a mail to his alias at vanderbilt which forwards to his columbia e-mail, phone, and a couple others. well, we got a bounce back from the columbia address still. so that didn’t work either

yeah, it certainly seems that columbia has decided to block anything that may contain an origin from dreamhost even within a forward.

thanks for the help and tests.

This is unfortunate too, because my Dad, uncle, and aunt all work at Columbia (and my sister is starting grad school there next year). This isn’t such a huge deal, because our office mail server isn’t affected (as long as I don’t use ‘hq.dreamhost.com’ in my from address), but it’s still unfortunate (especially since, as far as I can tell, they didn’t notify our abuse or postmaster addresses before blocking us). I hope that this situation will get resolved soon.

From Columbia:
“This was an error. Sorry. I am taking it off now.”

Should be fixed now. Thanks for pointing this out.

YES, it is working now! i just sent two e-mails using squirrelmail to the columbia user and they didn’t bounce back!

thank you very much WILL for helping us out with this issue.