Web Hosting Management for DreamCompute

dreamcompute

I’d like to install WebHosting management of some sort on DreamCompute instance(s) to standardize and simplify the management of web hosts. cPanel is rather expensive, but there are many open source alternatives with different levels of capabilities and maturity.

Any recommendations?

I found an interesting article listing various web panel software - http://www.hostingadvice.com/blog/cpanel-vs-plesk-vs-webpanel/

I don’t have a recommendation to offer but that is a good place to start your evaluation.

I used to feel EXACTLY the same way, but it was mainly driven by my end-user experience of cPanel 15 years ago. I didn’t like it. I went out of my way to find a hosting company that DIDN’T use cPanel. As a hosting provider, I avoided cPanel like the plague and tried several others. Now… I wouldn’t dream of using anything but cPanel. NOTHING compares to it from an administrator standpoint. It will make your life so much easier.

It’s come such a long way over the years and their pricing is competitive to others. If I remember correctly, it was $30+/month years ago. A dedicated server license is $45/month but a VPS license is only $20.

I made the mistake, when getting into the business, of purchasing a lifetime license (to the tune of about $600) for HMSPanel. It wasn’t a very well established company but the panel seemed decent. Try to find it now.

I’m not saying other control panels are horrible or not worth checking out. I’m just saying that I’ve been through that process and found that cPanel is my best friend. LOL

Good luck!
Chris

I understand what you are saying, but it still seems expensive to me, if I can purchase something like a HostGator server including CPanel for $24.95/mo, why do I need to pay $20/mo for just cPanel.

Fair question. It comes down to comparing services. You’re either reselling HostGator’s service or selling your own. There’s certainly nothing wrong with being a reseller but I look at it this way… Running your own give you more control and flexibility. It gives you the ability to roll out a service that might be able to compete in a saturated market. I suspect that’s why you’re building on a VPS rather than just reselling from HostGator.

Chris

Thank a lot!

I’ve been trying to figure this out as I would love to take DreamCompute and offer it to those who wish to have “more than Shared Hosting” but a simple managed VPS kind of deal. There are some ideas to handle this. Right now, I’m just in the brainstorming phases of making this possible, but I certainly would love to do it too.

I don’t think creating an instance via API is available at this time.

There are, however, several workarounds for this. Of course, you will have to have some knowledge of a language to incorporate the API.

The first one is the cheaper method, but you’d basically be putting people on a “shared cloud server”, while the second one allows people to have their own slice of the pie, but will be more costly. Either way, you could probably figure out a way to churn a little profit.

You could also incorporate something like VestaCP or ZPanel and there are some Github repositories of people tweaking the code to allow web hosting client opportunities.

These are the possibilities in regards to DreamCompute and keeping it very basic:

1. Create an instance with 1 GB or more (you can always expand later) and use ServerPilot API to create a website on your instance. ServerPilot allows you to create as many servers as you wish. In other words, everyone would be sharing the same IP address, but have their own confined space, very similar to shared hosting. The only thing your customers would have to do is change their DNS. With this, you’d probably have to upgrade your ServerPilot plan to allow multiple users, which they can use to login with via SFTP, for security reasons. I’m sure there is a way to use the free plan and lock them into their own folder, but it probably requires a bit of advanced Linux Terminal knowledge.

2. Create several instances ahead of time at 512 MB - 1 GB or more and charge based on need or demand. You would obviously be paying for every instance you use, so DreamHost would be charging you for empty instances sitting there. However, this would give people their own cloud server. Then just do the same as above, using ServerPilot API.

To know how to assign your API to the instance, just create a text file or a database of the “next available” instance’s IP address.

Keep in mind, this is if you wanted to automate it. It’d be much easier if you just took on clients of your own and did it manually for them and just used a service to charge them a monthly fee.

But if you were to automate it, you could certainly build your own control panel and if you kept it very basic… it could definitely be something fairly straightforward and simple.

If this is too much trouble or work for you, than you would likely have to go with a reseller program with a different host.