Web-based secure file downloads

apps

Hi,

I am looking for DreamHost compatible software, preferably free, that would allow me to create web interface to a hierarchical listing of files available for download, such as Excel spreadsheets and Powerpoint presentations. By hierarchical, I mean that the files need to be divided into an arbitrary number of categories and subcategories.
The tricky part is that the entire thing must be limited to users with user IDs and passwords, and certain users would only have access to certain files/folders, as decreed by the administrator. Preferably, each user would only see the files/folders he/she has access to, but that is not a strict necessity.
I’m sure there has to be software that does this, but I’m not certain how to find it… any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.

You should look at some of the CMS programs. While they might be a little more than what you want (blog entries, polling, calendar, etc.), the user management might be exactly what you’re looking for.

You can set different levels of users who have different levels of site access.

You might check out Drupal, Mambo, PHPNuke, and PostNuke.

All of these programs have modules (some have to be downloaded extra)for file management.

You might also want to look at courseware such as Moodle (free), which will give you a lot of control over user access and file management and keep everything locked away except from those with the proper permissions and passwords.

I’m assuming the programs you want to serve are legit

Thanks for the response. I didn’t want to go with a full CMS setup yet, as it’s really way more than we need, and I felt it’d be a lot like shooting at a fly with a bazooka. But from what you said, it sounds like their file management stuff might be exactly what I’m looking for. I noticed Dreamhost offers webdav, but I’m not sure it’s transparent enough for the end-user.

Thanks again for the links. I’m checking them out. :slight_smile:

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

The files I’m serving aren’t programs…just documents.