Walk away now

I signed with DH at the beginning of this week paying 2 years up front.
Before i signed up, I emailed support asking specific questions and got an almost instant reply saying “yeah no problem”, “we do have that feature”, “everything is cool” etc …
The reality is the complete opposite.
Since signing up I have had:

• No email
  • Constant access problems
  • Despite sending numerous support tickets, no response
  • When I do get a response, I get “It’ll be sorted in an hour” which of course it isn’t.

if you are thinking of signing up with Dreamhost, DON’T.

Walk away now.

You have a 97-day money back guarantee. I suggest you exercise that option if you are unhappy. Incidentally, since you are hiding behind a specially-created anonymous username, your comments carry no merit whatsoever. I have been with DreamHost for two years, and I have found the service to be excellent.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

You could have been with them for 2 years or 2 minutes, that’s irrelevant to me.
And what does it matter whether my username is real or not? Who are you? Do I care? No.

It’s my experience that counts for me and that alone.
I have friends who have either said that DH are the best everor the worst ever but I chose to make my own decision.

IN MY OPINION DH have no excuse for having mail down for so long plus not even letting me know whats going on, truthfully.

The hosting market is flooded and I have numerous options.
If they don’t want my business, I’ll go elsewhere.

I have already initiated the process of cancelation.
Typically I haven’t had any replies to my emails.

I have been with Dreamhost for a little over a year now… up until this last month I have been very happy with them.

My sites have been down more than they have been up this past month. I am losing money with them being down! I am tried of the excuses… it has been one excuse after another.

I have requested a call back at least two times this past week and have gotten NOTHING.

I was told they were going to move all my domains over to a better server and that they would do everything and that it would be painless.

Guess what? They are down again!

I got a email just now stating that the outage was resolved… Guess what? No, it has not! My sites are all still down!

All I want is my sites back up and to stay up… is that to much to ask for?

<Incidentally, since you are hiding behind a specially-created anonymous username, your comments carry no merit whatsoever. I have been with DreamHost for two years, and I have found the service to be excellent.>

Simon, I cannot believe what the DH referral fees have done to you…while you and i have not always seen eye to eye on a variety of topics on this forum, you still always carried yourself well in our discussions. As a website designer yourself, why defend documented downtimes and lambast a fellow poster simply because they choose a certain level of anonymity - <on a message board no less, go figure :p> see, unlike you, i question the integrity of someones responses on the “merit” of their “sigs” and one that includes this:

<Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code SCJESSEY97>

is one that i would have problems with accepting. Just an opinion from another “annonymous poster”

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

I am not “defending documented downtimes”. I have frequently posted about the level of warning and information provided by DreamHost at http://dreamhoststatus.com, and I have been satisfied with their explanations. I have considerable experience of hosting, and DreamHost has been my most favorable thus far.

Regarding my promo code: Look back through my extensive posting history and you will see that I have always been against them. I eventually created my own because I considered it to be silly to lose out of any potential revenue on a matter of principle. Besides, I make almost nothing from it!

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

As an advocate of this lovely company, can you answer me why what is on http://dreamhoststatus.com and what is reality seem to be completley different?

I have had no email for 3 days but nothing is mentioned at http://dreamhoststatus.com.

If there was a blip is the service then obviously it might just go unnoticed but after 3 days there must be someone noticing and therefore a status warning or has everyone gone on holiday.

In it’s current state, and I can only talk for now as I have no history of the company before i signed up, I would advise AGAINST anyone signing up to dreamhost.

I sincerely do not want to move from DH as I think they offer a great deal, (that’s why I signed up for 2 years), BUT, I am also losing money and cannot move other domains to them in fear of losing even more business.

I agree with the negative comments made about Dreamhost.
The service sold appears better then anything else I have managed to come accross for the price however the reality is that one is buying a bright shiny car with a rusty engine.

I have had every possible problem over the past month, crap performance, slow, unhelpfull support, email and sites down.

I would not put another business site on these servers for any of my customers - poor, poor show.

By the way does anyone know of any decent rails hosting services. I’d really like to get it right next time.

I think part of the issue is that not everyone has had the same experience as you. It sounds as though your problems are more severe and may well not be indicative of general system status; my sites/email accounts have been fine throughout this week.

dreamhoststatus.com was never intended to report on individual problem status, only wide-spread circumstances. "That said, there were multiple posts yesterday about the status, and potential problems, with email.

That’s a valid point, but it is also of rather limited value precisely because it represents only 4 days of experience; others with considerably longer experience may have a very different perspective.

Well, you are fortunate that you still have over 90 days to decide if you want to stay before you incurr any risk of losing the money you paid for your plan, so you have options.

What I don’t understand is this:

If you are as frustrated as you claim to be, and you really feel that “walk away now” is the best advice to give others, why aren’t you taking your own advice by getting your money back and “walking away” yourself?

It would seem that if you really are intrigued by the potential “great deal” you would give it a few more days…

Being frustrated is understandable. Being dissappointed that the “great deal” you were/are interested has not worked out as you had expected is understandable. Jumping onto a public forum and saying “walk away now” while you are still hopeful of availing yourself of what you still want to believe is a “great value” in Dreamhost seems kinda like “biting the hand that feeds you”.

Dreamhost staffers have, in my experience, always taken the “high road”, so you are probably safe, but it never hurts to remember that “tech suppport” staff are still people, and they can react in very “human” ways…

When you let your frustration allow you to post “walk away now” after a few days of problems, you risk alienating those who are in a position to help you, and look schizophrenic by telling others to walk while saying you “don’t want to move from DH” (and that you have already started cancellation process.)

That message would signal to me, if I were looking into your tickets, that I would only be wasting time dealing with your issues- you would be a “done deal” for me.

–rlparker

You have a 97-day money back guarantee. I suggest you exercise that option if you are unhappy.

Yes, and indications are they give some refunds beyond that point.

Incidentally, since you are hiding behind a specially-created anonymous username, your comments carry no merit whatsoever.

There are numerous participants in this forum using “specially-created” anonymous usernames. They are neither “special,” nor without merit - even you respond to them.

I have been with DreamHost for two years, and I have found the service to be excellent.
I have been satisfied with their explanations.

I have not yet found a better value.

Regarding my promo code: Look back through my extensive posting history and you will see that I have always been against them. I eventually created my own because I considered it to be silly to lose out of any potential revenue on a matter of principle. Besides, I make almost nothing from it!

Excellent examples of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink.

Always against posting them, except you post them.

If you make almost nothing, and have always been against them, then why not follow your “principles” and set a “good” example instead of a “bad” one. Right, that would be “silly.”

==

You are welcome to a refund.-Michael;Comparing ‘DH of today’ with ‘DH of old’ does not serve much purpose.-Dallas

Take the money and run, before you are sucked into the dreamhost horror show! And don’t let any of the commission seeking yahoos convience you otherwise.

Read more about this @ http://futurosity.com/231/why-dreamhost-sucks