Waiting for .com to transfer,how view local files?

Coming from from another company, we are still waiting for our actual .com to transfer, but I’ve FTP’ed some contents to our new DreamHost server, is there anyway to view these through a browser?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I have no idea what I’m doing wrong.

Hi,

In the Control Panel you can create a subdomain which mirrors you .com domain. DreamHost has the domain dreamhosters.com available for this purpose.

In the box Mirroring you input the following:
Domain that mirrors: yourdomain.dreamhosters.com
Domain to mirror: yourdomain.com

There is more info in the Knowledge Base:
How can I seamlessly transfer my site to DreamHost from another host?
Viewing site before DNS change
Why can’t I access my domain/site after signing up?

Hope this helps you…

[color=#000000]DreamHost Promo Code[/color]: [color=#CC0000]Save $50[/color] with the promo code DREAMTEAM

I like plugging this sigguestion everytime this comes up. In the Panel > Sigguestions there’s one that dreamhost automatically set this up for you:

“Automatically set up domain.com.dreamhost.com for new domains to test before DNS propagates.”

-Matttail

[quote]I like plugging this sigguestion everytime this comes up. In the Panel > Sigguestions there’s one that dreamhost automatically set this up for you:

“Automatically set up domain.com.dreamhost.com for new domains to test before DNS propagates.”[/quote]
I agree. It would be much easier for new customers if this was done automatically.

[color=#000000]DreamHost Promo Code[/color]: [color=#CC0000]Save $50[/color] with the promo code DREAMTEAM

Do you want a test subdomain that others can see, or do you want to see the actual final domain on your own machine?

For the former, the subdomain stuff that others suggested will do the trick. But if you just want to see your new site on your own machine, there is an easier way to do it. Edit the HOSTS file on your local machine and add an entry for your domain pointing to your new IP address on DreamHost. Then you will see your site at its actual domain instead of a temporary subdomain.

On recent versions of Windows, the HOSTS file is in the system32/drivers/etc subdirectory inside your Windows directory. On other systems it will be in other places. It’s a good file to get familiar with.

[quote]Do you want a test subdomain that others can see, or do you want to see the actual final domain on your own machine?

[/quote]

While editing your hosts file works just fine, the mirrored sub-domain accomplishes the same thing - and I think for most people is much easier to do.

-Matttail