VPS suddenly seems slower than shared hosting

vps

I switched over to a dreamhost VPS a while back and my sites seem to be running slower than ever. The site that loads the slowest is http://www.autopriority.com/. The dashboard is almost unusable.

VPS isn’t a magic speed bump. It has it’s advantages but you will still need to fine tune any site anywhere. Looks like wordpress at first glance, but we have no clue what plugin’s and options you’re using-- Not all play nice together. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

Looking at that site, I would turn off wp-db-backup (scheduled backups can slow your site down) and trade out wp super cache for w3 total cache. You can safely remove the hotfix plugin from all sites now :slight_smile:

I’m not familiar with the pix suite of plugins, so I can’t speak for those, but the other plugins look fine to me. I also peeked at your other sites, and I think the issue may be the database, not the file server. I ran a DB optomize on all your sites and checked the plugins which seemed to pick up a little bit.

One of the sites is running RevSlider 4.3.8 - That needs to be upgraded ASAFP. That’s a vulnerable version of the plugin and it’s possible that’s what’s causing the slow down.

Looking at the VPS, I have a couple suggestions.

Check “Disable mod_php” - You’re not using it.
Disable “Jabber Transports” - You’re probably not using it either :slight_smile:

I personally disable “FTP Server” which doesn’t disable SFTP or SSH, but it’s just safer than raw FTP.

If you are still on VPS Debian, I recommend switching to VPS Ubuntu. I don’t wish to be rude, but the systems that VPS Debian is running on, is utterly slow. Dreamhost VPS Ubuntu systems are much, much faster.