Recently I asked for feedback on other people's experience with Dreamhost mySQL VPS. Maybe my question was too broad and multi-varied because I got no replies.
So I've taken the plunge: I've added mysql vps.
We're using 300 MB of file memory and 400 of mysql memory.
On the files vps, we're averaging a load of 0.2 with a total memory usage averaging about 70MB. Sometimes it's as low as 50MB. It rarely goes over 100MB. Since the cap is 300, I figure we're good.
Mysql vps is averaging a load of .01 with a total memory usage averaging about 330MB. It dips as low as 323 goes no higher than 340MB, so I figure 400MB is a good cap. I cannot understand why the memory usage for mysql should be so high. It's not like we get that much traffic.
We're still getting the 'packing on the pounds' emails, but what I see in my VPS graphs does not reflect what the email suggests. Perhaps there is a spike, but it's too short for the panel graph to capture it... My logs don't show any whacky bursts of activity, even directly after receiving the email. These sites are simply not that well-traveled. I checked whether any files had been recently changed in this accounts users that would account for random spikes and found nothing untoward. In short, I followed the directions for figuring out what's compromised but have not found any answers.
I even created a bash script that combines various suggested tools from this wiki page and the VPS Troubleshooting pages so I could quickly find problems and discrepancies.
I'm at a loss for explanations. I propose that there must be a bug in the DH software that sends out the pound-packing emails.