VPS and Requests from external digital devices

vps

I am currently on DreamHost Shared hosting (Happy Hosting) and considering moving my domains to VPS. The one thing that concerns me most are the various posts I’ve read about VPS being slower to serve pages than shared hosting.

My most active domain (and the one pretty much forcing me to migrate to VPS) is primarily accessed by external “Digital Users”. Those are other computers and software systems that access the web site programmatically. There are pages accessed by humans too, but almost 95% of the site’s usage is due to the external digital user requests.

For example, there are roughly 7000 “devices” living inside servers owned and operated by another company. Those “devices” are actually program modules that are installed on the external servers. Each one makes as many as 500 requests per day, but the average is more like 30 per day.

The real problem is that several hundred of those device might try and query my domain at all once. Of course the usual is that they don’t. But there are times when it seems like every one of those devices decides to squeeze through the front door at the same time.

On shared hosting, the ProcWatch daemon is periodically killing responses to those requests because the domain user has too many active processes running. I believe that moving to VPS will allow me to handle all those requests (and many more as this product continues to succeed).

So, question time:

1. Will VPS allow me to run as many processes as needed when those peak usage moments occur?

2. When migrating from Shared Hosting to VPS hosting, I see that I can discontinue my existing plan once everything has migrated to the new VPS. Will I still be able to use shared MySQL even after canceling my shared hosting plan?

3. Has anyone had issues with the initial migration from Shared to VPS Hosting?

I’m sure there are other questions I would like to ask, but these three will work for now. Any experience, information, suggestions or tips you can offer … please do so. Thank you in advance.

Hi there,

given how VPS works, it’s uncommon that applications will run slower there than on Shared hosting. Uncommon, but not impossible: that’s why some people needed to fine-tune their setup for VPS. To be honest, I believe that the only way to avoid issues with noisy neighbors is to use DreamCompute, taking advantage of its fully programmable interface … which is another chapter :slight_smile: Now, to your questions:

1. Will VPS allow me to run as many processes as needed when those peak usage moments occur?

I don’t think anybody can guarantee that: it all depends on your application and the traffic you get and the size of your VPS. The virtual servers don’t resize automatically, so you have to size them for your peaks in order to be safe.

1. Will I still be able to use shared MySQL even after canceling my shared hosting plan?

I’m not an expert on this topic… my sense would be that you won’t be able to, you’ll have to re-create the mysql databases… but that’s probably something you may need to do anyway in order to get the speed you need.

If I were you, I’d consider testing DreamCompute to run your application, especially if you use Ansible (or Chef, Puppet, Salt) to deploy and configure your application… You may want to take advantage of the integration of DreamCompute with Ansible2. If you need help on that please let me know.

I do have some standard packages running on my domains (such as MediaWiki and WordPress) but those are WAY down on the usage list. The main use is custom-written PHP to serve the devices.

The service pages are typically very short, often responding with 10-1000 bytes replies, and run-times far shorter than normal web pages. This is why I’m concerned about initial connection times as opposed to overall run-time. For example, one person accessing one page on WP uses as much overall run-time as do (approx.) 100 custom service calls.

Really, the bottom line is that my application is way on the other end of the usage pattern scale. In fact in many cases the request sent to the web server is bigger than the reply size.

Nice discussion , its really helpful to other forum reader like me. thanks for your post.