Virus Checker on Announce List

I had a user tell me that their company virus scanner found a virus on an announce list email I sent. His scanning program states that “The message was successfully disinfected.” Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Thanks!

Email viruses can only be in attachments, right? I’m not aware that you can attach files to the announcements. So if these are true, then you can’t send viruses via the announcements. Right? Or am I mistaken?

If the mail uses HTML format and includes some shady markup or links to shady websites, then it might trigger a scanner, but regular plaintext or decent HTML wouldn’t do that.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

Bob, that was brilliant…

-Jason

I40.com - Home Page
MP3Mystic - Personal Streaming Music server.
(No longer hosted with Dreamhost)

hah, hah!

If I am sending something from the dreamhost panel. Can a virus attach itself to that (I am not sending email from my system). Would that not make it not my system sending a virus, but Dreamhost system? Or is it a false positive from the scanning?

I don’t think anything is going to attach itself from the announcment list.

One thing that might set off your scanner is if you are sending out HTML that has a script in it.

No, it is just a plain vanilla - four lines of text (with a url - but just the same as many years before) - announcing a newsletter. I have done this for a long time to the same users with no comments until this last issue.

[quote]No, it is just a plain vanilla - four lines of text (with a url - but just the same
as many years before) - announcing a newsletter. I have done this for a long
time to the same users with no comments until this last issue.

[/quote]

I can’t think of any way that this would cause a virus to be sent, as the announcement list feature doesn’t even support attachments. My guess is that the virus checker in question is a bit hyperactive, and/or flags messages based on criteria other than attachments to the message itself.

You may want to check with the administrator of the recipient’s mail server to see if there is any sort of logging with their virus checker. It may provide more details.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin