Virus attachment - how to prevent it?

I’m curious does anyone know how to prevent the people who is using fake e-mail address and attaching the possible virus in an e-mail send to me?

I use Outlook Express 6 to read and write e-mails. Lucky I do have Norton Anti-virus which has been deleting these attachments. But I wanted to know how to stop it?

Is there a way I can trace the IP # who send it?

The IP of the virus’s origin will be in the full headers of the message. Here’s a good link on how to get most mail clients to reveal full headers:

What you want to find is the first line that hits our mail server, like this example:

Received: from ( []) by [mailserver] (Postfix) with ESMTP id DAFDB5B879 for <>; Mon, 10 May 2004 16:01:05 -0700 (PDT)
The IP in the brackets is the only thing you want to look at here, so in this case, is the message’s origin. You can then use a whois interface (the one at may be the easiest to use for someone who doesn’t have a lot of experience guessing which RIR a particular IP address will correspond to) to determine the organiztion that this IP was allocated to.