View Site via IP or Raw directory

i uploaded some files to my server. but i don’t want to transfer my domain yet. what is the way i can view my “site” without going to the domain. i want to work on it before transfering domains

[quote]i uploaded some files to my server. but i don’t want to transfer my
domain yet. what is the way i can view my “site” without going to
the domain. i want to work on it before transfering domains

[/quote]

There isn’t a way to do this by default, but you can set something like this up by creating a temporary “yoursite.dreamhost.com” sub-domain and having it mirror the main site.

This can be done here:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=domain.add_domain

These are usually viewable within just a couple/few hours.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

i don’t understand. if i set up a subdomain how do i point it to the files on the Dreamhost server and view it in my browser.

can’t i view it by going to 66.000.111.22/account/files/ ?

Setup a ‘blah.dreamhost.com’ subdomain and set it to mirror your domain.

No. This doesn’t work with our virtual hosting setup. If you setup a unique IP for a domain, you will then be able to view the domain as http://66.33.xxx.xxx/ in a browser.

You could do:
ftp://user:password@machine.dreamhost.com/example.com/

(where machine.dreamhost.com is the name of your machine), at least to view static files.

im trying to do the exact same thing here…and i dont understand the directions given here…

when you say setup a sub domain and then mirror your domain…what domain are we talking about here?

and what does mirror-ing do?

say we have an already existing domain at www.abc.com

and we setup a new account here at DH and plan to transfer the www.abc.com domain to DH, but want to build a brand new abc.com site at DH before moving across to live…how is this done?

if i setup a mirror that is , say www.newsite.abc.com and mirror www.abc.com then what?

does the subdomain that is setup have to be xxxxxx.abc.com ?

still very confused about what mirror-ing is/does…