Using spamassassin with mysql

I’ve setup SpamAssassin as per the instructions at and everything is working great. Now, what I would like to be able to do is setup a php interface so that each user can easily configure their own SA settings. I know that it’s possible to do this by storing the user preferences in a mysql database. However, this can only be done if SA is run using spamc/spamd. Has anyone successfully run SA using spamc/spamd on Dreamhost’s servers? If so, could you provide me with some hints how to do this? How to get spamd running, etc…

I wouldn’t suggest it. It might be possible, but we might well kill it, and you’d have to write some sort of shell script (run from cron) to check if it’s running and restart it if not.

Also (most importantly), you’d be running it on the user machines, not on the mail machine, and thus you wouldn’t be able to process your mail through it.

In that case, can you think of any other way in which I might be able to create an interface which users can use to easily configure their preferences without having to edit user_prefs directly?

Not off the top of my head… If you make the files world or group writable, you might be able to manipulate them directly with a perl script.