Using .procmail to test "To:" field

software development

Hello,

Someone’s been using my domain to send (tons of!) spam, and so far I’ve been creating rule after rule using the DreamHost interface.

It’s getting kinda silly, though, so I want to create a .procmail filter that kills all email not sent to one of these addresses:

charles@mydomain.com
from-@mydomain.com
charles+
@mydomain.com

The “*” in the last two is a wildcard, since I use them for spam tracking. For example, I would give foobar.com an address of charles+foobar.com@mydomain.com. If I ever get spam to charles+foobar.com@mydomain.com, I know where it came from.

I know nothing about .procmail or regular expressions, but I’m happy to have a go. I’m posting this in case someone wouldn’t mind giving the newbie some pointers (beyond the KBase article on .procmail, which I’ve read and kinda understand).

Many thanks for any help!

– Charles Wiltgen

Just for kicks, here’s the (incorrect, I’m sure) first try:

/dev/null
DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
SHELL=/bin/sh

:0

• ! ^TO_charles@wiltgen.net|
    ! ^TO_from-(+.)@wiltgen.net|
    ! ^TO_charles+(+.)@wiltgen.net
    /dev/null

Also, is there only one .procmailrc for all of my accounts? Do I then have to set up pass-throughs for those addresses?

You can only setup procmail recipes (beyond what you can do from the panel) on ftp / shell users, and it’s not global - it’s per-account.

Btw, I’d suggest reading the procmailex and procmailrc man pages regarding “TO” and “TO_” - these are special cases in procmail, and can work both for and against you.